Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: blocker live chat while gaming

Nike
Guide

blocker live chat while gaming

Hello. Our new Orbi system is working great so far. We now have connectivity all over the property. The only complaint my son has is he can no longer live chat while gaming. We replaced a previous Nertgear router and that is all we changed. So when he is playing with internet friends the latest shoot-em up game, he can't chat live with them as he did with the previous Netgear. Is there some kind of security setting thsat must be changed? Thanks

Message 1 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Nike 

You may need to do some port forwarding for your sons gaming device just google xbox or Ps4 port forwarding and you should be able to find the correct ports to open.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 10
Nike
Guide

Thanks we will loook for that. We did get a response from Netgear but they did not know right away. I would think this would be a common request. We'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Message 3 of 10
Nike
Guide

The PS4 game is called Overwatch and the port forwarding did not resolve the problem. We still have no live voice chat. Due to the Best Buy return policy, we have to fix this by Saturday afternoon or we'll have to return it. We'll try again tomorrow

Message 4 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Nike

Here are all the ports I found on play stations website to port forward did you do all of these?

• TCP: 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480
  • UDP: 3478, 3479

USB or Bluetooth Headsets

• TCP Port: 80
  • UDP Ports: 6000 - 7000, 50000, 10070

DarrenM

Message 5 of 10
Nike
Guide

Hello. Thanks for your reply. I was on the phone for quite some time and those port numbers look familiar to me. We also got a few more from the game developer. We'll try it again tonight. My problem is the Best Buy return policy expires this coming Saturday. If we can't get it to work by then I have to return it. I don't remember having this much of a problem when we had this running on the previous Netgear Rangemax. Not at all.

Message 6 of 10
Thrillhouse
Initiate

Was this issue resolved? I'm having the same issue right now. We just got an Orbi and since setting it up I can't use chat in Overrwatch on my PS4. I've setup Port Forwarding for every PSN port and it's still not working.

Message 7 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Thrillhouse

Have you tried to put the PS4 in the DMZ?

DarrenM

Message 8 of 10
Nike
Guide

I'm sorry but I had to make a decision based on the store's return policy. The replacement brand supported this feature immediately with no action or settings required. Thanks

Message 9 of 10
Thrillhouse
Initiate

From everything I've read, putting anything in DMZ is not a great idea, so I'd rather avoid it. Also, my work computer (Mac) would not connect to the internet at all with the Orbi and I certainly can't change that to DMZ. 

I did find a work-around. We got an ethernet splitter, plugged it directly into the modem and then out of the splitter we ran the Orbi and the terrible router that came with Optimum. We have both wifi networks setup now but we're only using the Optimum router for my PS4 and work computer. 

It's a bad work-around because it defeats the purpose of upgrading the router, but at least only my PS4 and work computer are effected. It works well enough to run Overwatch and my basic work tasks. I'm living with my mother-in-law for a short time and this is her router, so I'm not going to ask her to return it if she likes it.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7