Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: browser login to rbr50

Ubn
Aspirant
Aspirant

browser login to rbr50

I have an RBR50 with one satellite. The android app allows basic configurations but the web app has been problematic since I bought it. 
I am making some changes to my network and access to the web interface would really help. The device seems to either reset its own password or corrupt the file somehow. In the past, a reset on the rbr50 has given me access again but it really is a pain. With the new network configuration, having to do more frequent hard resets will be somewhat of a hardship. 
Orbilogin.com and orbilogin.net aren't working either. I get a netgear.com error messagge saying I am not connected to the orbi wifi network. My wifi connection, ip address on the orbi subnet and the android app say otherwise. 
When I use the ip address to connect to the web interface, the orbi says the password is incorrect. This is untrue unless the orbi has changed its own password. I use a password application and generator and any password changed is immediately stored. Orbi gives the option of changing the password but hangs up on the screen asking for personal information as security prompts. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

The Orbi does not spontaneously change passwords.  Use of a password manager to generate long, complicated passwords may be the problem.  Since access to the web interface is limited to devices on the LAN (i.e. inside my local network), I let my web browser remember the Orbi password and it has never failed.  I have seen posts about Orbi passwords not accepting certain characters.

Is there some way to create the Orbi admin password yourself rather than have the manager create something you have no control over.  Mine is a phrase 25 characters long that calculations say would take about 4 billion years to guess after someone got access inside my network.  (The Orbi WiFi password is similar, too.)

Message 2 of 9
Ubn
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can't think of a reason for the orbi to change the password and I can't explain how only that part of the config file would be corrupt. But I can't explain it any other way.
Other times this has occurred, a hard reset gets me back in and I can set a new password. If the orbi doesn't like some of the characters it would seem like it would put out an error. Instead it has always accepted the new password, I continue with reconfiguring whatever needed work and things seems fine. That would include a couple of logins with whatever the new password was. After some time passes and I need to get back in, then the password doesn't work. 
I agree, there are apps and sites that don't like certain characters in a password and it isnt always clear what the rules are. But they do give an error even if they don't always cite the required password parameters which is annoying.
I have tried it with complex and simple passwords, some I created and some from the password manager. Mentioning the password manager was my attempt to explain that the password was consistent and not typo'ed. It will work during that particular session with the Orbi, whether that is 15 minutes or a couple of days. If a couple of weeks or months pass before I try to go back in, the password won't be accepted. 

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

A puzzle.  One thing I have been successful at is using the Password Recovery feature.  After a password is rejected three times in a row, a screen pops up where I enter the serial number (to prove that I am sitting in front of the unit I guess) and then answer two security questions.  This failed the first time I tried it and my conclusion was that I simply entered answers into the two questions that were showing on the screen.  The next time, I deliberately "pulled down" and selected a question, then entered the answer.  When I tried Password  And deliberately clicked on "Apply".  Recovery after that, it worked correctly.

Message 4 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

I neglected to mention that saving the configuration file after every change might be a good idea. I have not powered off my Orbi for 112 days.  If I had to recreate all those settings, it would take longer than I would like, so I always take the option to "Reload a saved configuration."

That would be an interesting test.  The next time it won't accept the password and the Password Recovery feature fails, try reloading the configuration and see if that restores the password.

Message 5 of 9
Ubn
Aspirant
Aspirant

Those are good suggestions. I did think that the two questions it asked seemed like odd choices, ones I wouldn't have selected. I will try some of the others and see if those let me in. So perhaps the orbi is prompting me for random questions but only 2 have saved responses.

Is saving and restoring a configuration available from the app? I'm not seeing those options in there. 

Message 6 of 9
Ubn
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just gave it another try. The web interface didn't accept either of the last two passwords that had been set. I tried the default, just in case, but that didn't work. The reset process did work this time for some reason. The new password was saved and I anxiously awaited the loading of the web gui but instead got the netgear.com login error message that I was not connected to the orbi's wifi network. 
Seems difficult to believe since it had just provided me with several login and password reset web pages. 
 I was connected via the internal wifi IP address and interfaced with the device and then it said I wasn't on the correct network. 

Message 7 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@Ubn wrote:

Those are good suggestions. I did think that the two questions it asked seemed like odd choices, ones I wouldn't have selected. I will try some of the others and see if those let me in. So perhaps the orbi is prompting me for random questions but only 2 have saved responses.

Is saving and restoring a configuration available from the app? I'm not seeing those options in there. 

Like many online systems, Orbi has the user select security questions from a menu of options.  Once the question is selected, the answer is to that question.  This happens two times.  Two questions: two answers.  Those are the only questions that will appear during Password Recovery. 

I also do not see "Save Configuration" available in the "app". (Yet another reason I have little use for it.)

Message 8 of 9
Mikey94025
Hero

@Ubn wrote:

The new password was saved and I anxiously awaited the loading of the web gui but instead got the netgear.com login error message that I was not connected to the orbi's wifi network. 

This message appears when the DNS of your wireless connection is not the Orbi.  This might be if your Orbi is running in AP mode instead of Router mode, if your Orbi's internet connection is broken so your phone is using your cellular network for internet address, etc.

1. Is your Orbi running in AP mode or Router mode?  If AP mode then orbilogin.com will not work.
  2. You can still access the Orbi admin website by IP address even if orbilogin.com isn't working.  To find the Orbi's LAN IP address we need to know if you are using a Windows machine, a Mac, an iPhone, etc.
  3. Alternatively, the Orbi app can also probably tell you its LAN IP address.  Unfortunately my iPhone Orbi app isn't working right now so I can't give you exact instructions.
  4. Once you have the Orbi's LAN IP address then you can just enter that into your browser.  For example, I use: http://192.168.1.1/

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7