Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: can I combine Orbi systems

IdaS
Aspirant

can I combine Orbi systems

Hi,

I have a Netgear Nighthawk with a Netgear extender but still nooks and crannies in my home without Wifi. So I am thinking of buying an Orbi system. A perfect setup for my home, at least on paper,  would be an RBK50 router, with 1 Orbi voice and 1 Orbi RBS20 and 1 Orbi RBW30. Is this workable, or are there problems when combining these componenets of different systems. I have scoured the internet but couldn't find a satisfactory answer to this question.

Thanks for your feedback.

Model: RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 1 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can combine them. I would keep the satellites the same however if you get a RBK50. The wireless rates are different between a 50 series satellite and a 20/30 series satellite. I would get a RBS50 satellite if you need an additional satellite. The RBK50 somes with 1 satellite in the box. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
30 feet is recommended in between base router and satellite  to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 2 of 19
IdaS
Aspirant

Hi Furry,

Thanks for your quick reply. My home setup it a bit strange, that's why the Nighthawk + extender can't get everything covered. It are two separate small cottages with a room connecting them. Looks like an H, with extra floors on the legs of the H. I like the design of the RBS20 more than the bigger RBS50, that's why I hoped this could be a workable setup.

Message 3 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model of the NH and EX units you have now? 

Message 4 of 19
IdaS
Aspirant

The nighthawk is R7000 and the extender is EX6200

Message 5 of 19

@IdaS wrote:

The nighthawk is R7000 and the extender is EX6200

I have an R7800 at the front end of an Orbi system. The Orbit router is in Wireless Access Point mode.

If you still need the EX6200 after you set up the Orbi,. then it might function as a simple extender but without the wifi connectivity of the Orbi.

Message 6 of 19
IdaS
Aspirant

Thanks. I am sorry to say that I am probably not tech savy enough to combine the Orbi system with my Nighthawk, but thanks for the idea. After having slept on it, I think I maybe stick to what I have right now.

Message 7 of 19

@IdaS wrote:

Thanks. I am sorry to say that I am probably not tech savy enough to combine the Orbi system with my Nighthawk, but thanks for the idea. After having slept on it, I think I maybe stick to what I have right now.

If it works, why change it?

But the fact that you already have an extender bolted on to a router suggests that you are tech savvy enough to add Orbi things. (Too many people fall at that hurdle.) It is just much of the same old same old in a new package, with some added benefits.

Message 8 of 19
IdaS
Aspirant

Yes, well, maybe that was a fluke. The setup now has the drawback of two different wifi networks in the same house, which drives me nuts. So I was thinking of a mesh network to streamline this. I have changed the SSID's (yes a little bit savy), but that didn't change the problems with wifi loss and manually reconnecting mobile phones and tablets.

Message 9 of 19

@IdaS wrote:

Yes, well, maybe that was a fluke. The setup now has the drawback of two different wifi networks in the same house, which drives me nuts. So I was thinking of a mesh network to streamline this.

I'm with you now. An Orbi system would get you a cleaner network.

I was just thinking of ways to recycle old kit. I'm a cheapskate!

The network you proposes is much like mine. One Orbi router, three satellites (RBSV40, RBS50Y and RBW30). They "daisy chain" nicely. It has a pretty good stretch that manages to bridge the gap between two buildings. And I haven't even tried optimising it yet.

Message 10 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

You might draw a diagram of your system using the "cheapskate" configuration so we can see how to recycle older HW and connect the Orbi to the system and how it works. Smiley Very Happy

@michaelkenward wrote:

I'm with you now. An Orbi system would get you a cleaner network.

I was just thinking of ways to recycle old kit. I'm a cheapskate!

The network you proposes is much like mine. One Orbi router, three satellites (RBSV40, RBS50Y and RBW30). They "daisy chain" nicely. It has a pretty good stretch that manages to bridge the gap between two buildings. And I haven't even tried optimising it yet.

Message 11 of 19
IdaS
Aspirant

I am a cheapskate as well, I will recycle the Nighthawk and the extender by selling it on Marktplaats, the Dutch Ebay. 😉

@michaelkenward your setup sounds great. It means also that I can combine the different systems without any problems. So I'll go for my initial idea.

Message 12 of 19

@IdaS wrote:

I am a cheapskate as well, I will recycle the Nighthawk and the extender by selling it on Marktplaats, the Dutch Ebay. 😉

Sounds good.

Get your new setup right and you won't need the old kit. But it is easy enough to bolt an old "access point" device on to an Orbi should you feel the need.

@michaelkenward your setup sounds great. It means also that I can combine the different systems without any problems. So I'll go for my initial idea.

Should be fine. But think ahead. What might you want to add in future?

One thing I have been pondering is getting a satellite with a LAN port so that I can feed a Powerline network for a smart BluRay player. Ethernet beats wifi for kit like that. But my current RBW30 satellite is wifi only.

I now have two Internet services – work and play – which doesn't make much sense if the Orbi can bridge the gap.

Message 13 of 19
IdaS
Aspirant

Yes, you are right when suggesting I should look ahead. I think with an Orbi system you have the best for the years to come.

Message 14 of 19
gr8sho
Virtuoso

If you had a little more time to wait, the upcoming WiFi 6 capable Orbi would be more futureproof, if there even is such a thing.
Message 15 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 16 of 19
IdaS
Aspirant

Thanks for making my extremely jalous ;). Already bought the Orbi's I want to use now.

Message 17 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll be good with the one you have. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 19
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Okay fine, but my comment wasn't about the upcoming product release but rather about the generality of using the term future proof as it pertains to hardware. 😉
Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7