Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: can't make disabling auto-update of FW work (and iOS disconnects)

keeper88
Guide

can't make disabling auto-update of FW work (and iOS disconnects)

The only version of firmware that I can use that doesn't cause frequent disconnects with all of the iOS devices (90+% of our users) in my house is 1.12.0.20 (which I helped beta with Orbi techs for some weeks last year and it was to fix the iOS disconnects, and it did!).  But the auto-updates to v2.xxxxx have killed it again (nice job Orbi, way to lose the fix), frequent random disconnects across all iOS devices.  I downgrade to 1.12.0.20 and everything works great again.  Then, to try to disable auto-updates, I have done the Telnet config changes referenced on this board to the Orbi router & satellites --- but the auto-updates still occur.  Does anyone know how to truly stop the auto-updates?  What am I missing?

And Orbi, this is beyond ridiculous.  It's ludicrous that you can't fix this issue, don't test properly before you release, and then compound those major misses by FORCING everyone to take these flawed updates.  For my household, it makes it unusable!

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Try updating FW using this process:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/I-found-a-Connection-issue-Resolution-for-wired-backhaul/m-p/1...

v2.1.4.10 is the most current version.

You may need to factory reset the entire system after updating FW.

Message 2 of 6
keeper88
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try updating FW using this process:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/I-found-a-Connection-issue-Resolution-for-wired-backhaul/m-p/1...

v2.1.4.10 is the most current version.

You may need to factory reset the entire system after updating FW.

Thanks, but v2.1.4.10 is a big part of the problem, as is any firmware released since late last year, I can't use it.  It goes back to the issues of frequent random iOS device disconnects (more than just a nuisance, a show stopper in our Apple-heavy house), which is why I have to use v1.12.0.20, the last known version that didn't have the iOS disconnects issue that I helped troubleshoot with Netgear last year (August 2017 timeframe). 

Otherwise I have no issues with updating or downgrading, and I'm not a wired backhaul, I just have issues with the auto updates to firmware revisions that don't seem to get along with Apple devices -- which is a pretty big deal...  Or are you saying I need to be at 2.1.4.10 for the telnet config changes to stop the auto-update, meaning I'm in a "catch 22" as they say?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tired a full factory reset of both router and satelllite the set up from scratch?

Disable MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roamng and IPv6 after resetting and setting up.

Message 4 of 6
keeper88
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Have you tired a full factory reset of both router and satelllite the set up from scratch?

Disable MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roamng and IPv6 after resetting and setting up.

I have done those things with past FW revisions, but still didn't help the iOS disconnects (only thing that helped was that one FW revision I referenced, which works flawlessly, I just have to keep re-installing it thanks to these confounded auto-updates....), so I have been reluctant to do that unless I'm certain there is something specific that addresses my issue (I already spend WAY too much time on having to manage my Orbi gear with these auto FW updates as it is).  Do you know if there is something specific in the latest FW that fixes the iOS disconnect issues but only if you factory reset and make those changes?

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Seen it were there are major changes in recent FW versions. I yesterday had to do a full factory reset on mine with a new modem that was put online. I could not just connect the modem to the router. Was not working right. Once I did a full factory reset, BOOM, everything started working again.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7