Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

can't sign in to Netgear orbi app

RobertWycoff
Aspirant

can't sign in to Netgear orbi app

My Orbi app suddenly didn't show my two RBR50 satellites as being connected.  I tried some things and now I can't log into the Orbi app.

I am able to go to 10.0.0.48 in my browser and see them as being connected.

I checked my iPhone Orbi SSID and the IP address is 10.0.0.52.  I have tried forgetting that SSID a few times and it still shows the same IP address.  I can joing the SSID with the correct password.

Should the Orbi SSID IP addres be 10.0.0.48, or is there something else I am missing?

10.0.0.48 is the IP address assigned to my iPhone.

I think what messed it up is that I tried a reboot using the Orbi App, because the app showed the satellites as not connected, even though they showed as connected with the 10.0.48 web interface.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 16
RobertWycoff
Aspirant

Re: can't sign in to Nwtgear orbi app

I figured it out.  
This thread can be deleted.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 2 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

How did you figure it out? So others might be helped by your experiences..

Message 3 of 16
RobertWycoff
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

How did you figure it out? So others might be helped by your experiences..

For some strange reason I now have to use the Remote Signon option on both the Orbi and Netgear apps.

My Comcast Gateway is in Bridge Mode and has been ever since I installed my Orbi.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 4 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

local sign in should work as well when your at home connected to the Orbi. 

Message 5 of 16
RobertWycoff
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

local sign in should work as well when your at home connected to the Orbi. 

I agree.  That's the way it has worked since I installed it 12/2017.

But I just can't get it to work now.

When I started the Orbi app the first time today, I didn't have to log in.  But my two satellites were not connected in the app, even though they showed as conneced in 10.0.0.48 with my browser.

So, I thought I would try rebooting the system with the Orbi app and after that the only way I could log into the app was with the Remote option.

Message 6 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Might try removing the app and re-installing it to see if local side works...

Message 7 of 16
RobertWycoff
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I did that.  The Genie app is also doing the same thing.

I suspect the reboot of the Orbi with the Orbi app caused the issue.

I reinstalled the Genie app and it does the same thing; I have to log in remotely.

Message 8 of 16
RobertWycoff
Aspirant

@RobertWycoff wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I did that.  The Genie app is also doing the same thing.

I suspect the reboot of the Orbi with the Orbi app caused the issue.

I reinstalled the Genie app and it does the same thing; I have to log in remotely.

I tried something else:

I tried logging into the Genie app with the local option but I added the IP address for the Orbi - 10.0.0.48.

I was able to log in locally with that.

But the Orbi app doesn't have that option so I am only able to log in remotely with it.

I do not understand why the Orbi app can't log in locally.

I re-synced the Orbi and the two satellites.  It made no difference.

I still can't figure out why my iPhone7 Orbi and Genie apps think I am at a remote location when all I seem to have done is "Reboot Router" the Orbi with the Genie app because it (the Orbi app) was showing the satellites as being offline.  Once the system reboot finished and I re-logged on as a remote user, the satellites were displayed as online.

But when I used the browser interface at 10.0.0.48 before the system restart, the satellites were shown as online.

Maybe using the Genie app to "reboot the router" is what messed something up.

Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

Message 10 of 16
RobertWycoff
Aspirant

Re: can't sign in to Netgear orbi app

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

It is a Comcast XB6 - Arris TG3482G.  Direct Orbi ethernet cable from the Orbi to one port on the XB6.  There is an ethernet cable connected to the Orbi that connects to a gigabit switch for all other ethernet connections.  I purchased the Orbi 12/2017 and I have never had any issues with my connections both ethernet and wifi.  I have two RBS50's; neither are backhauled.

Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, this maybe a cause as well. This modem has a built in router. 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Something to check out and see if this might help as well. I set up my friends Orbi system and he's got a Arris modem. I bridged it and he's been solid since day one back in June. Though he doesn't do much router management with his app or any app. 

Smiley Frustrated 

Seems to leave that to me. 

Message 12 of 16
RobertWycoff
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok, this maybe a cause as well. This modem has a built in router. 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Something to check out and see if this might help as well. I set up my friends Orbi system and he's got a Arris modem. I bridged it and he's been solid since day one back in June. Though he doesn't do much router management with his app or any app. 

Smiley Frustrated 

Seems to leave that to me. 

I have always had my XB6 in Bridge Mode.Bridge Mode1.jpg

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Just checking. Make sure it's still in bridge mode. 

If the modem is in bridge mode then there shouldn't be any reason why the app can't connect to local when your locally connected to the Orbi...Seems odd that it won't. I would contact NG support and ask about this.

@Blanca_O

Message 14 of 16
RobertWycoff
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

If the modem is in bridge mode then there shouldn't be any reason why the app can't connect to local when your locally connected to the Orbi...Seems odd that it won't. I would contact NG support and ask about this.

@Blanca_O

I think the issue is caused by my using the Orbi "Reboot" option.  I'll give NG Support a try.  Thanks.

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. It should work locally. 

@RobertWycoff wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@Blanca_O

I think the issue is caused by my using the Orbi "Reboot" option.  I'll give NG Support a try.  Thanks.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7