Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

cannot block sites when on ssl. is this feature useless now?

darckhart
Aspirant

cannot block sites when on ssl. is this feature useless now?

I recently upgraded to the Orbi from the Nighthawk and, after making sure things were working, decided to see if I could start blocking some sites. (Upon logging into the router, I go to Advanced, Security, Block Sites.) Added msn.com, google.com, youtube.com to the list.

When on http, msn and google get blocked, ie, http://www.msn.com

BUT since most websites now redirect to using ssl version, nothing gets blocked... ie, https://www.msn.com goes right on through...

So is there a way to actually make this Block Sites function work? (Do not want to sign up for the whole Parental Control openDNS disney circle thing. Just want to make the function on the router work like it did on my nighthawk.)

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: cannot block sites when on ssl. is this feature useless now?

Message 2 of 6
darckhart
Aspirant

soo... any advice? or confirmation it doesn't work?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Did blocking SSL sites work on your Nighthawk router?

Seems that SSL sites are usually not blocked on routers. You may need to sign up for a DDNS service and point your router to this service, then use this service to block SSL sites...

Message 4 of 6
alexandermg
Aspirant

Extremely frustrating... it seems the ability to block individual websites at the router level is not possible. I've been trying to block a few websites just to test it out- it's a joke! Sometimes they do get blocked, but if you do a google search for the website you're trying to block and click it from there it goes right through. Chrome seems to bypass it like it's not even there. Come on NETGEAR!!!!! Get it together!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems that SSL sites are usually not blocked on routers. You may need to sign up for a DDNS service and point your router to this service, then use this service to block SSL sites...Seen with eith other router Mfrs. 

@alexandermg wrote:

Extremely frustrating... it seems the ability to block individual websites at the router level is not possible. I've been trying to block a few websites just to test it out- it's a joke! Sometimes they do get blocked, but if you do a google search for the website you're trying to block and click it from there it goes right through. Chrome seems to bypass it like it's not even there. Come on NETGEAR!!!!! Get it together!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7