Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: chromebook orbi DNS Server

smalldog
Tutor

chromebook orbi DNS Server

Just purchased Orbi mesh router and now lenovo chromebook shows connection to wifi but when attempting to load webpages responds there is no intent connection.   Diagnostic reports - No function DNS Server. 

All other devices work fine and chromebook works fine on other wifi (ie. not at my house).

Have tried restarts (chromebook and orbi) and powerwash of crhomebook. Nothing. 

any advice?

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
smalldog
Tutor

So....  if that happens to you, all you have to do is reset everything by restarting modem, router and device.   

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. 

sd

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here by chance? IF so, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Be sure your device is set for automatic networking and IP addressing. 

Have the device forget the wifi profile, then reconnect. 

Message 2 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@smalldog wrote:

Just purchased Orbi mesh router and now lenovo chromebook shows connection to wifi but when attempting to load webpages responds there is no intent connection.   Diagnostic reports - No function DNS Server.

One thing that has happened to me (unintentionally, and I have NO idea "how"), was that a device would be "paused", which means that it connects to the Orbi WiFi, but is not allowed to access the internet.  I would also find that "Access Control" had been turned on and the setting was "Block all new devices from connecting."  ("Paused" is a term found on the Orbi "app".  The Advanced Tab->Security->Access Control uses the term "Blocked".)

Undoing those settings allowed my device to work as normal.

Of course, this may not be what it causing your issue, but is easy to investigate.  Also, it might be worth searching the forum for "Chromebook".  I seem to recall numerous posts about them.

Message 3 of 12
smalldog
Tutor

So...  I tried to follow what you described but when I went into the security tab in the app it tryies to get me to download another app...netgear armor.   Did you download that?   

Message 4 of 12
smalldog
Tutor

So..  I understand a fraction of what you shared.  

I can tell you that the router is sperate from the modem. 

The router is RBR10.    Wierd thing is that I can use the network at my office...

frimware - v2.3.5.36

Message 5 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Oh, no... NO
Message 6 of 12
smalldog
Tutor

huh?

Message 7 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@smalldog wrote:

So...  I tried to follow what you described but when I went into the security tab in the app it tryies to get me to download another app...netgear armor.   Did you download that?   

This is where I say, "Oh, no. NO."  If there are any problems, adding Armor to the mix will not help!

Message 8 of 12
Krb78
Aspirant

I am also getting issues with my kids chromebooks from school not operating properly when connected to the orbi mesh. I’ve had to disconnect it to get them working without errors- same with the smart TVs - 401 and 404 errors all over the place. Turn off the mesh, and it works perfectly (but then we are living w slow speeds) 🤦🏻‍♀️
Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What model Orbi do you have? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Is Circle enabled on the RBR? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Krb78 wrote:
I am also getting issues with my kids chromebooks from school not operating properly when connected to the orbi mesh. I’ve had to disconnect it to get them working without errors- same with the smart TVs - 401 and 404 errors all over the place. Turn off the mesh, and it works perfectly (but then we are living w slow speeds) 🤦🏻‍♀️

Message 10 of 12
smalldog
Tutor

So....  if that happens to you, all you have to do is reset everything by restarting modem, router and device.   

sd

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working and thanks for posting the fix. 

Please mark your post as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@smalldog wrote:

sd

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7