Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

congested area/gaming/orbi

yafai1
Tutor

congested area/gaming/orbi

latest firmwear etc etc 2 routers less than 30 feet apart or something like that 

i have around 15 devices connected to the orbi network at any given time.

our family are heavy streamers and gamers we use technology all the time thats connected to the internet.

wanted to know whats the best settings for orbi to work at its best currently i live in an area when theres maybe 8-10 networks on and the wifi analyser says they cover most bands

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: congested area/gaming/orbi

Most modern WiFi systems periodically scan the nearby environment and change to a different channel if it promises better results than the one they are on.  If you scan today and "pick" a channel that seems to have the least use, there is nothing to stop other WiFi systems from also choosing that channel.  I leave my Orbi on "Auto".

The best results will be when the Orbi router and satellite are "wired" to each other with an ethernet cable.  That avoids completely (a) the overhead inherent in the WiFi backhaul channel, and (b) any possible interference from other systems using the same 5G channel.  Alas, connecting devices with cable is often a challenge, which is why I have left my Orbi's the "way they came", with WiFi backhaul.

I would enable the WiFi features which take advantage of modern protocols, Beam Forming, MU-MIMO, and Fast Roaming (found on the Advanced Tab of the Orbi web interface, Advanced Setup, Wireless Settings.  People who have mostly "legacy" WiFi devices get no advantage from these modern features simply because their old gear doesn't support them.  "New Stuff" quite often does.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: congested area/gaming/orbi

Most modern WiFi systems periodically scan the nearby environment and change to a different channel if it promises better results than the one they are on.  If you scan today and "pick" a channel that seems to have the least use, there is nothing to stop other WiFi systems from also choosing that channel.  I leave my Orbi on "Auto".

The best results will be when the Orbi router and satellite are "wired" to each other with an ethernet cable.  That avoids completely (a) the overhead inherent in the WiFi backhaul channel, and (b) any possible interference from other systems using the same 5G channel.  Alas, connecting devices with cable is often a challenge, which is why I have left my Orbi's the "way they came", with WiFi backhaul.

I would enable the WiFi features which take advantage of modern protocols, Beam Forming, MU-MIMO, and Fast Roaming (found on the Advanced Tab of the Orbi web interface, Advanced Setup, Wireless Settings.  People who have mostly "legacy" WiFi devices get no advantage from these modern features simply because their old gear doesn't support them.  "New Stuff" quite often does.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7