Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

connection issues using Orbi and a Combo modern/wifi

sbevevino
Aspirant

connection issues using Orbi and a Combo modern/wifi

okay folks.  i need help.   I have an Orbi RBK50 (circle with Disney) netgear router w/satellite.   I also have a modem that is an xfinity model, XFsetup -BC20....it is also a wifi.  I need to run 2 wifis becasue i have 2 gaming systems and several wireless devices in my home. (I also run a business).  my nighthawk quit (it would send a signal but not allow connection) working so i purchased the Orbi.  the orbi sends a signal but i cannot connect all of my devices. (Same as the nighthawk, which leads me to think that5 there was nothing wrong with the nighthawk in the forst place.)   the app, when i try says the the router is not found.  Now, with that said....a comcast technician just left and tested the orbi.  he says, "There is something wrong with this device, becasue I cant get internet through it."   Before I package it up and call the company for a return, I need to exhaust all possibilites of what might be the problem.  Keep in my moind.....my nighthawk and my xfinity modem/wifi combo, worked side by side for a year and a half with out conflict.....so...ideas?  suggestions.  keep your answers simple and to the point please as I will be try8ing all suggestions.    thank ou in advance.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: connection issues using Orbi and a Combo modern/wifi

@sbevevino wrote:

oops. I mean the ORBI. in to AP mmode.  yes I need both

You need one or the other. 

Either the ISP device in modem only mode or the orbi in Access point. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

If you truly need the wifi of the ISP modem/router, then put your orbi in AP mode. You're in a double nat which can cause many different types of conflicts. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Message 2 of 5
sbevevino
Aspirant

thank you...this makes perfect sense.  How do I put the router /modem in to AP mode.  it is a non netgear device provided by comcast.

Message 3 of 5
sbevevino
Aspirant

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

@sbevevino wrote:

You need one or the other. 

Either the ISP device in modem only mode or the orbi in Access point. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7