Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: d6300 modem router connecting to orbi

MarkTB
Follower

d6300 modem router connecting to orbi

I'm just trying to connect my bewly purchased ORBI router to my D6300 modem router, but I'm stuggling to discover how to disable the wireless wifi capacity of the D6300 and use it soley as a modem cabled into the ORBI router. Any advice much appreciated

Model: D6300|Dual Band 11ac ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: d6300 modem router connecting to orbi

There is a simple switch on the side to turn off the wifi. But you do not need to disable the wifi on the D6300. (With a different SSID, your wifi clients can use the Orbi.)

You might though find it useful to disable the router bit of the  D6300 ( and put it into "bridge" mode) or the Orbi. Two routers on one network can cause headaches.

When to put modem into bridge mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

There is a manual for the D6300 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> D6300 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

Unfortunately, unlike some modem routers, the D6300 doesn't have a simple "software switch" to disable the router bit.

How to configure two NAT capable devices | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It is easier to put the Orbi into AP mode. (Check the manual.) It may also be preferable, depending on how you now use the modem/router, the number of wired LAN connections for example. But the D6300 does have a problem on that front. According to Netgear's manual for this device the LAN and WAN support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware.

I'd be tempted to invest in a new modem. I did that to pension off my D6400, a more capable box than the D6300. The DM200 is dead cheap. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7