Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: desktop pc cannot connect to Orbi wifi network RBR50v2

Remon83
Aspirant

desktop pc cannot connect to Orbi wifi network RBR50v2

Hi all,

I have been running a RBR50v2 (home station + 2 satellites) for a few months now. Firmware version is V2.5.1.16.

All my devices work fine, but I cannot seem to wirelessly connect a new desktop pc that I bought last week.

The pc runs windows 10 pro, intel i3-9100F cpu. The networkcard is a TP-Link Wireless N PCI Express Adapter.

It can find the wifi networks (both normal and gues-network) just fine, but refuses to connect (cannot connect to the network). I reïnstalled the PCI adapter a few times, checked driver updates, etc. It connects without any issues to my mobile phone hotspot, so the adapter is working as it should.

I have been on the phone with Netgear support, reinstalled the whole Orbi system using web browser, changed wifi names + passwords, switched 2.4 and 5 ghz channels, switched off WPA encryption, disabled 20/40 MHz Coexistence.

At the end of the last phonecall, the agent concluded there was nothing left to do within the Orbi admin menu's.

Anyone had similar issues and (hopefully) a solution? The pc is running on a wired connection now, so it's not a huge issue, but I just would like to know why it won't connect wirelessly.

Thanks!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try a different adapter. If it's not connecting with NGs attempted changes, then seems like the adapter is not conpatible. 

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@Remon83 wrote:

The networkcard is a TP-Link Wireless N PCI Express Adapter.

I have been on the phone with Netgear support, reinstalled the whole Orbi system using web browser, changed wifi names + passwords, switched 2.4 and 5 ghz channels, switched off WPA encryption, disabled 20/40 MHz Coexistence.

Is this the WiFi card: https://www.tp-link.com/il/home-networking/adapter/tl-wn881nd/#overview ?

Would you happen to know if the card is "V1" or "V2"?

(The V1 card does not appear to have drivers for Windows 10.)

Could you explain "switched 2.4 and 5 ghz channels"?  If this is indeed the card, it does not support 5G.

Message 3 of 5
Remon83
Aspirant

I just tried a TP-Link AC1300 Archer T3U usb wifi connector, and it connected with no issues at all.

Seems like the problem was with the PCI-card indeed. I just turned if off.

CrimpOn, it is that card you mention. I'm not sure if it is the V1 or V2 card.

With switching channels I mean within the orbi login menu -> advanced -> wireless setup --> switching channel numbers (auto or 1 - 13 for 2.4 and 36/40/44/8 for 5 ghz).

Even if the card doesn't support 5ghz, shouldn't it be able to connect to 2.4ghz instead?

In any case, it works wireless now, so thanks a lot!

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@Remon83 wrote:

CrimpOn, it is that card you mention. I'm not sure if it is the V1 or V2 card. Probably written in very small print on the board itself somewhere. Or, if "V2" does not show up anywhere, it is probably "V1". (Products are often not labelled "V1" when they first come out.)

With switching channels I mean within the orbi login menu -> advanced -> wireless setup --> switching channel numbers (auto or 1 - 13 for 2.4 and 36/40/44/8 for 5 ghz).  Thanks.  That makes sense.  One reason to perform this test is the difference in 2.4G WiFi channels between countries.  US is limited to Ch 1-11. Most of the rest of the world allows 12 & 13.  Japan allows 14.  If a device designed for the US market is used where the access point is set to a higher channel it will not see it.  Since your adapter "saw" the Orbi 2.4G, that was not the problem in your case.

Even if the card doesn't support 5ghz, shouldn't it be able to connect to 2.4ghz instead?  Oh, yes.  Very disappointing.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7