Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

devices connect to a far satellite

arunvk
Aspirant

devices connect to a far satellite

I recently bought a 3 pack RBK53S-100NAS from costco and set it up. I have a main router in basement and the other two satellites on 1st and 2nd levels. I noticed that the devices connect to a far orbi unit. I was expecting devices connect to the nearest unit for maximum speed. even devices that dont move around like my tv, google home in 1st level will connect to the 2nd level unit. sometimes devices in basement connect to the upper level units. this reduces the speed to the device because of the weaker wifi signal. how can I correct this. I played around with a few settings including fast roam but it didnt help. Thanks.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: devices connect to a far satellite

@arunvk wrote:

.... this reduces the speed to the device because of the weaker wifi signal. how can I correct this. I played around with a few settings including fast roam but it didnt help. Thanks.

How do you know this to be true if they have always be on what you consider the 'wrong' SAT?  

Message 2 of 9
arunvk
Aspirant

@Retired_Member wrote:

@arunvk wrote:

.... this reduces the speed to the device because of the weaker wifi signal. how can I correct this. I played around with a few settings including fast roam but it didnt help. Thanks.

How do you know this to be true if they have always be on what you consider the 'wrong' SAT?  

when I see a video spinning/buffering, I check the network map in orbi app to verify which satellite its connected to. I have to turn off the tv and the start it again and the video streaming speed is fine when its connected to a the closest orbi SAT. I even did a local file transfer of a large file. the transfer was much slower when the device was connected to a further SAT than when it was connected to a near SAT with a stronger wifi signal.

Message 3 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@arunvk wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

@arunvk wrote:

when I see a video spinning/buffering, I check the network map in orbi app to verify which satellite its connected to. I have to turn off the tv and the start it again and the video streaming speed is fine when its connected to a the closest orbi SAT. I even did a local file transfer of a large file. the transfer was much slower when the device was connected to a further SAT than when it was connected to a near SAT with a stronger wifi signal.

OK....good luck.  

..."the video streaming speed is fine when its connected to a the closest orbi SAT."   What does this mean?  You did it manually and then it goes back to the SAT farest away?

When the MESH system is working, it is suppose to figure all this out for you based on frequency, distance, etc.

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

You can change the power output of the RBR to something lower to see if the wireless device will connect differently. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings can change 100% to 75 or 50% to test. 

It's up to the wireless device to pick which source signal it connects too. 

Message 5 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@arunvk wrote:

I noticed that the devices connect to a far orbi unit. I was expecting devices connect to the nearest unit for maximum speed. even devices that dont move around like my tv, google home in 1st level will connect to the 2nd level unit. sometimes devices in basement connect to the upper level units.

This phenomenon of devices connecting to a different Orbi unit than "they should connect to" is in the "Top 5" questions raised on the forum.  One solution that has been suggested is to have the device "forget" the Orbi WiFi connection, restart the device and connect again.  This is based on the fact that the Orbi router WiFi signal "comes up" first and devices may connect to the router before the satellite(s) are active and then "stick".  This obviously does not account for a device that chooses a "far away" satellite over a closer router.

All this is complicated because (as far as I can tell) we have no information about how devices choose a WiFi access point when there are several available, and even several with the same name (SSID).  Is it by signal strength?  Is it by some negotiation with the access point?  Is it whichever access point responds first?  If someone can point to a document detailing the connection process, I really want to read it.

Since the phenomenon is causing performance issues, it might be worth investigating the observed signal level of the various Orbi access points at the device location.  You mention the Orbi "app".  For each device the app reports (a) which access point it is using, (b) the frequency band, and (c) the "Link Rate".  One thing I like to do is carry my Android phone to various locations and look at the signal strength of each Orbi access point.  I use WiFi Analyzer by Kevin Yuan, but there are many other such apps.  Where I sit right now, the signal strength of my Orbi's is:

Access Pt   Channel    Strength

Router      2.4G Ch 9  -39dBm

Satellite      2.4G Ch 9  -51dBm

Router      5G Ch 48   -38dBm

Satellite   5G Ch 48   -73dBm

It's no surprise my phone is connected to the Router at 5G.  If you log into the web interface of the router and satellites and bring up this web page (http://<ip of Orbi>/hidden_info.htm) you can learn the WiFi MAC address of each of the 2.4G and 5G radios.

With model 50 Orbi's on each level, there may be other ways to address some of the problems.  A slight change in location might improve connections.  Or, "fixed devices" like televisions might be connected with ethernet cables.

Sorry if I have rambled on and not been helpful.

Message 6 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

"I have a main router in basement and the other two satellites on 1st and 2nd levels"

The think the solution will be to change this to read:

I have a main router on the 1st level and the other two satellites in the basement and the 2nd level

Message 7 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

"I have a main router in basement and the other two satellites on 1st and 2nd levels"

The think the solution will be to change this to read:

I have a main router on the 1st level and the other two satellites in the basement and the 2nd level

A typical Orbi "star" with the router between the two satellites usually performs better than a "star" from the basement or a "daisy chain".  Alas, many of us are constrained by (a) where the internet modem is located and (b) physical construction.  I am really annoyed that my internet service enters the house at one corner of upstairs and that running ethernet cables within the house is very difficult.  That's why I deployed WiFi security cameras rather than (cheaper) PoE cameras.  Depending on how this basement is finished, it might be possible to drill a hole through the floor and snake an ethernet cable upstairs (or not).

Message 8 of 9
RedBatman89
Guide

@CrimpOn wrote:

@arunvk wrote:

I noticed that the devices connect to a far orbi unit. I was expecting devices connect to the nearest unit for maximum speed. even devices that dont move around like my tv, google home in 1st level will connect to the 2nd level unit. sometimes devices in basement connect to the upper level units.

This phenomenon of devices connecting to a different Orbi unit than "they should connect to" is in the "Top 5" questions raised on the forum.  One solution that has been suggested is to have the device "forget" the Orbi WiFi connection, restart the device and connect again.  This is based on the fact that the Orbi router WiFi signal "comes up" first and devices may connect to the router before the satellite(s) are active and then "stick".  This obviously does not account for a device that chooses a "far away" satellite over a closer router.

All this is complicated because (as far as I can tell) we have no information about how devices choose a WiFi access point when there are several available, and even several with the same name (SSID).  Is it by signal strength?  Is it by some negotiation with the access point?  Is it whichever access point responds first?  If someone can point to a document detailing the connection process, I really want to read it.

Since the phenomenon is causing performance issues, it might be worth investigating the observed signal level of the various Orbi access points at the device location.  You mention the Orbi "app".  For each device the app reports (a) which access point it is using, (b) the frequency band, and (c) the "Link Rate".  One thing I like to do is carry my Android phone to various locations and look at the signal strength of each Orbi access point.  I use WiFi Analyzer by Kevin Yuan, but there are many other such apps.  Where I sit right now, the signal strength of my Orbi's is:

Access Pt   Channel    Strength

Router      2.4G Ch 9  -39dBm

Satellite      2.4G Ch 9  -51dBm

Router      5G Ch 48   -38dBm

Satellite   5G Ch 48   -73dBm

It's no surprise my phone is connected to the Router at 5G.  If you log into the web interface of the router and satellites and bring up this web page (http://<ip of Orbi>/hidden_info.htm) you can learn the WiFi MAC address of each of the 2.4G and 5G radios.

With model 50 Orbi's on each level, there may be other ways to address some of the problems.  A slight change in location might improve connections.  Or, "fixed devices" like televisions might be connected with ethernet cables.

Sorry if I have rambled on and not been helpful.

Yeah this is a mystery to me to. I'm like OP where I have my router in the lower level of my house then a sattelitle on the first and secound levels. Yet for some reason I notice at times that my ASUS ROG will connect to either the sattilite on the first or second level of my house. Even though my laptop is just in the next room from the router and is closer too, I usually fix this by just putting my laptop to sleep and then open it in the room where the router is and let it connect back to the main router. I don't have daisy chain enabled either since my house is only just 2100 sqft and the sattleties can connect to the router eaisly. Still it boggles the mind why this happens. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7