Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

dns error on rbk53s

smith1964us
Initiate

dns error on rbk53s

I've owned the RBK53S-100NAS router for a few years now.   What I got was a much lighter wallet and years of network connectivity issues, MS Teams unstable, unstable loading of browsers,  and what appeared to be "random" log-in issues with company VPN.   These issues were identified as DNS errors.   Another issue that I had with Orbi was the inability of the router to balance the loads on its ethernet ports.  I was only able to get 1/2 the speed that my ISP actually provided me.   This was the last straw.    I am very happy to say that for me these DNS and port load balance issues have ALL BEEN RESOLVED by installing a tplink TL-R605 router between my ISP modem and the Orbi router.   In my setup the Orbi router only functions as a wifi device for my home.  My critical computers are connected to the TP-link router.  All I can say is NetGear engineers have an issue with the Orbi router they need to fix.  

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
smith1964us
Initiate

Re: dns error on rbk53s

You are exactly right!  Its not a solution for the Orbi.  However, I can now live with a little peace of mind and get some work done.  For the money I paid for the Orbi to have it fail at such a basic level of operation is just aweful.  I will never spend so much money for a router ever again.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: dns error on rbk53s

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

I run VPN and Teams thru my RBR50 in router and have not seen any DNS issues. I run VPN/Teams all day while at work. My experiences. 

@smith1964us wrote:

I've owned the RBK53S-100NAS router for a few years now.   What I got was a much lighter wallet and years of network connectivity issues, MS Teams unstable, unstable loading of browsers,  and what appeared to be "random" log-in issues with company VPN.   These issues were identified as DNS errors.   Another issue that I had with Orbi was the inability of the router to balance the loads on its ethernet ports.  I was only able to get 1/2 the speed that my ISP actually provided me.   This was the last straw.    I am very happy to say that for me these DNS and port load balance issues have ALL BEEN RESOLVED by installing a tplink TL-R605 router between my ISP modem and the Orbi router.   In my setup the Orbi router only functions as a wifi device for my home.  My critical computers are connected to the TP-link router.  All I can say is NetGear engineers have an issue with the Orbi router they need to fix.  

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7