Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: dropping connection

jrw1881
Guide

dropping connection

Hello everyone!

I have been using the Orbi RBR50 since 2018 and it has been a doing a great job for a 6000 sq. ft. house (3 floors). I have had an occasional reset (unplug and restart) and I was back up and running. I have just started to have problems with the system dropping its connection every few minutes. Sometimes it comes back up by itself and other times I must do the power off thing and reboot. I usually get back up and running with no problems. But it has become persistant in dropping out and staying our for awhile.??

I read in this forum that years ago they had this issue but was not able to locate and discussion in 2021 for this problem so here goes?

I have a Orbi RBR50m with two other satellites. I used to have the wire run from the cable modem to a TP Link wired router with 9 ports. I have removed the TP Link router and run the modem (Arris 6141) directly to the RBR50 wireless router, the I run a connection to the 8 port switch for some direct wired devices in my house. Everything seemed to work fine until it(RBR50) started dropping its connection and rebooting only to have it go out again and again?

Using RBR50 + 2 sat.

Firmware is latest V2.7.2.104

Using cable codem

Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem? I have not done a "factory reset" on the router as of yet but will do this as a last resort if the problem continues. Any suggestions would be apprecitated>  Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
jrw1881
Guide

thank you  @Ha_Ku_Na 

apprciate your help!

View solution in original post

Message 21 of 21

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

When this happens, does the Orbi log file (in the web interface, Advanced Tab, Administration, Logs) show the Orbi has actually rebooted (log entry of "Initialized") or does it show "Internet Disconnected"?

Message 2 of 21
jrw1881
Guide

I have never checked? Will try the web interface as I suggest and let u know. Dropped once today and had to reboot a satellite but internet came back on its own and sat reconnected.
Message 3 of 21
vajim
Master

here's your problem:  Firmware is latest V2.7.2.104

Get rid of it

Message 4 of 21
jrw1881
Guide

How?
Message 5 of 21
vajim
Master

@jrw1881 wrote:
How?

rool it back to a previous release

go to downloads (above) enter your model number

Message 6 of 21
jrw1881
Guide

Could you tell me why this last update is bad?
Message 7 of 21
vajim
Master

@jrw1881 wrote:

no

Message 8 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Your best contacting other users who have more experience and knowledge of Orbi systems:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-Have-You-Installed-V2-7-2-104/m-p/2055212

It not always a FW problem. 

@jrw1881 wrote:

Message 9 of 21
vajim
Master

@jrw1881 wrote:
I have never checked? Will try the web interface as I suggest and let u know. Dropped once today and had to reboot a satellite but internet came back on its own and sat reconnected.

Message 10 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

Did you ever have a chance to look at Orbi log entries at the time of this occurance?

Message 11 of 21
vajim
Master

rollback underway

Message 12 of 21
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

1. Ignore vajim posts. This is the most important suggestion. 

2. Reset the Satellite.

If this does not help.

1. same as above

2. power off satellite

3. remove satellite from vonfig via web admin interface

4. reset satellite

5. add satellite via web admin interface

I run the latest fw without any issues. 1xRBR50, 2xRBS50 via WIFI backhaul, 1xRBS wired behind a switch. 

Message 13 of 21
vajim
Master

@Ha_Ku_Na wrote:

1. Ignore vajim posts. This is the most important suggestion. 

2. Reset the Satellite.

If this does not help.

1. same as above

2. power off satellite

3. remove satellite from vonfig via web admin interface

4. reset satellite

5. add satellite via web admin interface

I run the latest fw without any issues. 1xRBR50, 2xRBS50 via WIFI backhaul, 1xRBS wired behind a switch. 

this is another case of "well it worked for me so it has to work for you ".....NOT 

Message 14 of 21
jrw1881
Guide

i reset according to your suggestions and router and 2 satellites up and working with strong signal.

I still have an intermittent connection at least once a day but it usually resets itself. I am about 5-10 miles from a local airport and wonder if radar or something else might be interferring with the signal? Just a thought.??

Also since I am using these orbi satellites for a 6000 sq ft. house, 3 floors if the satellites make too far from the router? When I check all locations of satellites they all seem to have a good connection and show green.

I dont know what you mean by "remove satellite from vonfig via web admin interface"?? Do you mean config? Abnd the web interface you speak of ? Is that the app on my phone? Because I cannot log into network on my computer? Am I missing something here??

Message 15 of 21
vajim
Master

@jrw1881 wrote:

i reset according to your suggestions and router and 2 satellites up and working with strong signal.

I still have an intermittent connection at least once a day but it usually resets itself. I am about 5-10 miles from a local airport and wonder if radar or something else might be interferring with the signal? Just a thought.??

Also since I am using these orbi satellites for a 6000 sq ft. house, 3 floors if the satellites make too far from the router? When I check all locations of satellites they all seem to have a good connection and show green.

I dont know what you mean by "remove satellite from vonfig via web admin interface"?? Do you mean config? Abnd the web interface you speak of ? Is that the app on my phone? Because I cannot log into network on my computer? Am I missing something here??

3 floors is a challenge for any router unless you have it on the 2nd floor.  Max 30 feet is the recommended distance between orbi and sats.

not sure if you have rolled the firmware back, however it appears you have 2 options;

1,  roll your firmware back to the last stable version IF available

2,  continue to play 1000 questions investing more time than you care to.

Good luck

Message 16 of 21
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

@jrw1881 wrote:

web interface should appear when you are connected to the orbi (lan or wifi) and enter

https://orbilogin.com/index.htm

in a browser. 

vonfig was a typo. 

better not use the app on the phone/tablet. 

Message 17 of 21
jrw1881
Guide

Ok just found out I can log into orbi on my computer? Think I just forgot about it!

Everything looks great now but what should I monitor should this go out again? Is there a long where I can see where the problem is with the connection? Like is it the router or my internet provider causing the problem?? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Message 18 of 21
vajim
Master

@jrw1881 wrote:

Is there a long where I can see where the problem is with the connection? Like is it the router or my internet provider causing the problem?? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Have you rolled your firmware back?  If not, there's your problem.  

Message 19 of 21
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

Advanced –> Administration –> Logs

Message 20 of 21
jrw1881
Guide

thank you  @Ha_Ku_Na 

apprciate your help!

Message 21 of 21