Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

firmware updating

firmware updating

While updating my Firmware - some how I updated the satitlte to 2.3 (skipping 2.2.12) - Now I can't update the router to 2.3, How can I correct this and update the router to the latest verision?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: firmware updating

If you’re manually updating the firmware using a browser, you cannot update the firmware directly to v2.3.0.32. You must first update the firmware to v2.2.1.212.  After updating the firmware v2.2.1.212, your Orbi router will reboot, and then you can update to v2.3.0.32.   

To manually update your router's firmware:
1. Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to your
Orbi network.
2. Enter orbilogin.com. or default is 192.168.1.1
A login window opens.
3. Enter the admin user name and password.
The user name is admin. The password is the one that you specified the first time
that you logged in. The user name and password are case-sensitive.
The BASIC Home page displays.
4. Select ADVANCED > Administration > Firmware Update > Manual Update.
The Firmware Update page displays.
5. Click the Browse button.
6. Locate and select the router firmware file you downloaded.
The firmware file name ends in .img.
7. Click the Upload button.
The firmware is updated.

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us no if updating the RBR to v212 first, then v32 works. 

@Reputationist wrote:

While updating my Firmware - some how I updated the satitlte to 2.3 (skipping 2.2.12) - Now I can't update the router to 2.3, How can I correct this and update the router to the latest verision?

Message 3 of 6

The timing and object you suggested is what I did and the process I used - I must of made a error in the process - now I want to correct - HOW?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

If the satellite updated to v32 ok, then all you need to do is apply v212 to the RBR50 and after it takes, apply the v32 file. That is all. Just use a wired PC connected to the RBR50. You may want to try a factory reset on the RBR first and do a basic setup. Skip the setup wizard, then go in and apply v212. Let it apply, then apply the v32 file. Reset after that then walk thru the setup wizard. 

Message 5 of 6
Chuck_M
Mentor

You did not need to update satellites to the intermediate... they can go directly to the final version.  This is because their firmware is much less complex (and smaller size) than the Router's firmware.

The reason you need to update the Router (RBR) to the intermediate is there is existing code in there that restricts the size of the firmware it is allowed to load.  The newest firmware exceeds that size.  The intermediate firmware changes the max firmware size so the newest firmware can load.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7