Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: help phones not able to stay connected

st8king
Aspirant

help phones not able to stay connected

I have been trying everything I can think of but I cannot get either of our household phones to get a reliable connection to our orbi wifi.  All other clients in the house have 0 issues.  We have Samsung s9+'s and I haven't had any issues connecting them to WiFi anywhere else.  If I turn on the WiFi on my ISP's modem/router it connects just fine to it.  Any help would be very appreciated.  

Thanks!!!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router.

Any other wifi neigbors near by? If so, how many?

Whats the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem?

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 2 of 13
st8king
Aspirant

It is an Arris DG2470.

I have tried toggling all of your recommended settings that has not seemed to help unfortunately. 

I will try your options setting up the modem to the orbi and see if that helps.

The strange part is the problem started when I tried to use chromecast audio.  I had all kinds of problems connected while using it and it persisted for a few days and then seemed to fix itself after a week.  About a month later I was using my chromecast audio again with my phone begun experiencing connectivity issues again and they have stayed around for the past few weeks so I am at a total loss.

Thanks,

Rich

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

There are known issues with CC devices. Something you should check into with Google. There devices have cause various issues with wifi routers.

Message 4 of 13
st8king
Aspirant

I had read that online and I have since unplugged all of my CC devices however I am still getting the unstable connections on my phone.   Did it somehow mess the routers up?

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you bridge the ISP modem or fully turn OFF the wifi radios on the modem? This is a gateway router with wifi so this will be a point of cause if you have both modem and Orbi wifi running at the same time.

Message 6 of 13
st8king
Aspirant

I have my orbi in AP mode and I have shut off the radios on the ISP router.

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Any other wifi neighbors near by? If so, howe many?

What channels are you currently using?

Try 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz if there isn't anyone else using them.

Set WPA2 and AES only on the router.

Disable Beamforming, MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming then test after a full reboot of the router and phone.

Then re-enable MIMO only and test...

Is the phone the only device to experience this problem?

Message 8 of 13
st8king
Aspirant

I have one neighbor but he's far away and the wifi signal is very weak from them.  

I have tried what you recommended and sadly still behaving poorly.

My phone and my wife's phone are literally the only clients with any issue.

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Hmm, can't think of anything else to try. If these are the only items having issues, could be a phone OS issue or some form of problem between them and the Orbi.

Do you have the satellites running? You might try turning the satelites OFF for a bit and just test the phones with the router only...

@DarrenM

Message 10 of 13
Bspencer2130
Tutor

I am having the exact same issue with my Galaxy S9 plus and rbk50 I've tried deselecting everything and I've even factory reset my phone. I also not long ago reset my orbi setup and recently did a firmware update that didn't initially impact Samsung performance.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 11 of 13
st8king
Aspirant

Guess maybe it's something with Android or Samsung. Funny thing is it was working great for the longest time this just seems out of the blue.
Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

You could try and down grade the FW on the Orbi and see if this does anything different....

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7