Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: hidden features

hidden features

hi guys

just incase you havnt found it yet there is a hidden page 

to access 

https://192.168.1.1/debug.htm

one feature you will find there is an advanced attached device list that will help see what devices are connect to the router or sat and what band they are connected to 

pete

Message 1 of 27

note: 

if you have the ip address of your orbi replace 192.168.1.1 with the gateway address you have set on the orbi 

pete

Message 2 of 27
Mikey94025
Hero

Thanks!  This should work for everyone: http://orbilogin.net/debug.htm

Message 3 of 27
loomis1975
Luminary

How do you access the advance attached device list? I am not seeing it on the debug page.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 4 of 27
Mikey94025
Hero

The list of attached devices is in the normal (non-debug) admin page.  Go to: http://orbilogin.net/index.htm, click on the Attached Devices link on the left.

Message 5 of 27
cldeal
Guide

It's not a "hidden feature."

Message 6 of 27
loomis1975
Luminary

I was interested in seeing the supposed advanced attached devices list on the debug page with what band the devices were attached to.  That isn't shown on the regular attached devices lists.  Alas I can't locate it on the debug page.  That is what I was asking how to access, not the normal attached devices page.

Message 7 of 27
loomis1975
Luminary

How do you access the attached devices list that shows what band they are attached to?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 8 of 27
ronhanson01
Aspirant

There are a number of hidden things. you can find them using teleport pro http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11955 

interesting is: /GuestManage_sub.htm

Message 9 of 27
TheJedi
Aspirant

The link is dead, can you re-post? I'm coming from ASUS routers and it's been extremely tough getting used to this very limited very basic user interface. The features I'm looking for the most are the ability to see which device is using up my bandwidth and also what the signal strength is of every device. If anyone finds this please post. 

Message 10 of 27

@TheJedi wrote:

The link is dead, can you re-post? I'm coming from ASUS routers and it's been extremely tough getting used to this very limited very basic user interface. The features I'm looking for the most are the ability to see which device is using up my bandwidth and also what the signal strength is of every device. If anyone finds this please post. 

to have that level of monitoring you are best to use your asus as a router and the orbi in AP mode and get the best of both worlds

Message 11 of 27
AndUrbi
Guide

@cldeal wrote:

It's not a "hidden feature."

Are you talking about the "attached devices list" or the debug.htm page itself?

Because I can't find anything in the normal firmware pages that links to debug.htm; I had to type it in myself.  (And having seen it now, I'm curious to know what, exactly, the "Network Session" counter is counting, and what happens when it reaches the stated max...)

The attached devices list, of course, isn't hidden.

Message 12 of 27

@AndUrbi wrote:

The attached devices list, of course, isn't hidden.

the advanced one is and needs to be turned on in telnet now

Message 13 of 27
st_shaw
Master

The "hidden feature" is the ability to see more detail about the connected devices, e.g. wired versus wireless, and connected band.  As detailed in an earier post on this board, this feature can be enabled by changing a variable on the router.  Do so at your own risk!

- Go to the debug page and enable telnet
- Telnet into the router
- Execute the following:
nvram set enable_adv_attached=1
nvram commit
- Exit telnet
- Go to the debug page and disable telnet (please don't forget this step!)
Message 14 of 27
AndUrbi
Guide

Yeah, the enable_adv_attached variant is somewhere between "way way better" and "infinitely better".  Dunno why that isn't the default, but at least the functionality is still there!

Message 15 of 27
st_shaw
Master

I agree!  It's very useful to see the additional details.  A lot is still missing though.

I run another brand of access points at another site and they provide complete information for each client: mode, TX rate, RX rate, channel, RF band, signal strength, uptime.  It's frustrating how little information is available on the consumer stuff.

Message 16 of 27

@st_shaw wrote:

I agree!  It's very useful to see the additional details.  A lot is still missing though.

I run another brand of access points at another site and they provide complete information for each client: mode, TX rate, RX rate, channel, RF band, signal strength, uptime.  It's frustrating how little information is available on the consumer stuff.

but that is the point , the orbi is a coustomer level device that for the most point ppl want to plug and play and dont care about whats under the hood , make it too complex and you start to lose the concept it was initially designed around , i still see ppl wanting ethernet backhaul which to me makes no sense to buy the orbi if you already have structured cabling in place

pete

Message 17 of 27
st_shaw
Master

I agree on the wired backhaul.  I think access points are a better solution to extend WiFi coverage if you have the wires.  The reason I have the Orbi here is because I have no easy way to wire the house, plus I have a large property that can use longer reach outside.

I understand your point about keeping things simple.  However, I believe Netgear could include more details on attached clients without making the devices any more complex to use.  It's just information, not a setting to fiddle with.

Message 18 of 27
Trial_Master
Aspirant

Thanks for the debug page Pete 🙂

Message 19 of 27
AndUrbi
Guide

@AndUrbi wrote:

Yeah, the enable_adv_attached variant is somewhere between "way way better" and "infinitely better".  Dunno why that isn't the default, but at least the functionality is still there!

So it turns out that changing the Orbi from router made to AP mode resets this option.  No big deal, do the telnet dance and turn it back on.  HOWEVER... it doesn't actually do anything in AP mode.  My "attached devices" page still groups all client devices at the bottom no matter whether they're on the main Orbi or on a satellite.

Fail, fail, fail.

Message 20 of 27
st_shaw
Master

It does do something. It shows which WIFI band the client connects to.
Message 21 of 27

yes it has changed and i assume will change again before its finished , however its easy enough to see whats connect to sats by accessing their web pages

Message 22 of 27
pwc73mgb
Guide

I was able to get to the debug page and click on the enable telnet. However I don't know what to do next to be able to enter in the command suggested.  Can someone provide detailed steps?

Message 23 of 27
Trial_Master
Aspirant

See further up the page for details to enter.

Message 24 of 27

doent work with new fw anyway sorry

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 19 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7