Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

home orbi: roaming

hariou
Aspirant

home orbi: roaming

Hi. When walking around the house with several satellite access points, will the connected device automatically connect to the access point with highest wifi strength?

I understand that the device holds onto the signal / connection not the satellite or router. And a router that intelligently drops a device when it is range of a stronger access point is available in commercial systems.

thnx
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: home orbi: roaming

My experience is that my Sony smartphone and my Samsung tablet would both switch from the router to the satellite (and back) as I moved from one to the other.  I had "Fast Roaming" checked in the Advanced WiFi Setup options.  My (flawed) experiment was to open the Orbi "Attached Devices" page on the phone or tablet, note where the device was connected and then go (downstairs) to the other.  Within two minutes, the display would indicate connection to the other.  Same thing going back the other way.

So, (a) Yes, devices will roam if they are programmed to roam (phones, tablets, maybe laptops).  Things that are not expected to move generally are not programmed to roam (TV's, IP cameras, etc.) (b) I actually do not know how "fast" they will switch.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7