Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: how to set 2.4G 5G channel separately with Orbi Tri-Band Mesh WiFi Router (RBR20)

liuzq12
Aspirant

how to set 2.4G 5G channel separately with Orbi Tri-Band Mesh WiFi Router (RBR20)

Hi,

I'm using Orbi Tri-Band Mesh WiFi Router (RBR20). Is there possible to set 2.4G/ 5G channel separately in differnet SSID? I'm running firmware of 2.3.1.58.  I've download the phone app, but didn't find a way to configure this. Maybe I need to login the admin page or something...

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: how to set 2.4G 5G channel separately with Orbi Tri-Band Mesh WiFi Router (RBR20)

Orbi does not provide a method to configure separate SSID's for the 2.4G and 5G bands.  The whole purpose of Orbi is to create "one seamless network", including both 2.4G and 5G bands so that a WiFi device will connect to whichever signal offers the best connection.  The concept is that users are not faced with, "My phone web speed is terrrible.  Oh, crap.  Where I am sitting right now, I need to disconnect from the 5G SSID and connect instead to the 2.4G SSID.  Oh, shoot.  I'm going back upstairs.  Need to change SSID's again."

There actually is (or has been.  Don't know if it still works.)  A method using telnet to separate the 2.4G and 5G SSID's.

At this point, these questions usually come up: (1) what is the reason for separating SSID's?, and (2) if this was an important requirement, why was the Orbi selected instead of a WiFi router that allows it?

Message 2 of 5
liuzq12
Aspirant

Well the reason why I want to separate is that my laptop usually switch between 2.4G/5G mode, and actually my laptop is very close to the router and I always want to stick to 5G mode for faster speed, but my laptop doesn't have such configuration to do so. And as most router provide dual mode SSID so I intuitively come up with this solution.

And could you pls tell me the that telnet approach? I would like to give it a try

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

I don't remember which post it was.  Probably best to search the forum for "telnet" or "separate bands".  Or, start a new post specifically asking for the telnet commands.  I have never done this myself, and have no idea if the current firmware release still supports it.

Message 4 of 5
sclawrenc
Apprentice

I also want to separate the WiFi bands but sadly the latest firmware doesn’t support the telnet method. I tried and it won’t work. It used to work fine with previous versions of firmware.

This option should be made available in case someone wants to separate the bands. I like the Orbi for the long range ease of setup. One router doesn’t cover my home and I don’t want a range extender nor do I want to run a network cable to another part of my house for an additional access point.

Netgear please let us separate the bands!
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7