Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: iOS app can't find new Orbi

Jiheffe2
Aspirant

iOS app can't find new Orbi

Ok, not a huge issue as I can access the Orbi admin interface using www.orbilogin.com or directly 192.188.x.x... But nevertheless...

After installing the Orbi system (1 Router, 1 Satelite) in AP mode, everything works fine. I of course changed the default SSID.

Now I want to connect to the Orbi using the iOS app, but to no avail...

I skipped the initital QR scan as I imagine it would search for the factory-set SSID, which is not broadcasting anymore (I changed it).

So I go through manual setup:

- Number of satelites I want to configure : 1 (default)

- Restart your modem: the Orbi is configured as AP, so I guess this is not relevant

- Connect the Orbi to the modem (In my case, I'm in AP, and the Orbi is already connected to my router, up and running)

- Position the satelites - Ok alreday done, the satelite works perfectly 🙂

- Connect to the Orbi Wifi : this is where I do not know ... The factory set SSID is not broadcasting, I replaced it with my own SSID. The app says it can't find tne router

So it seems I cannot connect to the Orbi with the iOS app when the default SSID has been changed? Is that right ?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 22
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

What firmware version are you running on your orbi units?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 22
Jiheffe2
Aspirant

@DarrenM wrote:

What firmware version are you running on your orbi units?

2.1.4.10 on router and satellite.

Message 3 of 22
jonsaunt
Aspirant

Can connect via a PC but not mac or ios. Have tried reinstalling orbi app, rebooting, etc. etc.

Message 4 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

I see a new Orbi app update on apples store today...

Message 5 of 22
Jiheffe2
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I see a new Orbi app update on apples store today...

Net yet here in Belgium... Latest version on iOS AppStore is 2.1.2.16, one month old.

Message 6 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Might have to wait then..contact NG support and ask...

Message 7 of 22
rtpub88
Aspirant

Hi Jiheffe2,

I've recently purchased a RBK40 set and run into the same situation as you (changed the SSID from default); I can access the Internet, login the admin UI via web just fine, but just cannot get the iOS Orbi app to connect.

The firmware is V2.1.4.10 on both router & satellite, and I'm using the latest version 2.2.0.57 of iOS Orbi app. 

Have you contacted the tech. support? Any updates? 

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 8 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 9 of 22
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello rtpub88 have you tried to reinstall the app?

DarrenM

Message 10 of 22
rtpub88
Aspirant

Hi DarrenM,

Yes, I have tried to reinstall the app, but I couldn't even get past the initial setup (router not found)... however, my Orbi routers are currently running fine (changed SSID & subnet from the default ones) and I have no trouble using it to access the internet, nor logging in via the web admin UI.  This leads me to wonder if the app is incapable of connecting to the Orbi with SSID different than the default one? 

rtpub88

Message 11 of 22
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you tried taking your IOS device close to the main Orbi router then trying the setup? also are you running the orbi in router mode or AP mode? and what modem is the orbi connected to?

DarrenM

Message 12 of 22
rtpub88
Aspirant

I set up my Orbi in Router mode and I have a ethernet cable connecting it's WAN port to the modem (Huawei HG8045).  I tried initially with the Orbi app and I was literally sitting next to my Orbi when I set it up; the app connected to the Orbi router (straight out of the box) fine (with default settings), and midway through the setup it somehow lost the connection (wouldn't connect again; but I connected to it via web admin UI on my computer just fine...), I wasn't sure what caused the problem, it could either be the change of SSID or the subnet that caused it.

Now that the device is running fine (I can connect to it via web UI), I don't wanna risk setting it up all over again just to get the app working...

Message 13 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

@rtpub88 wrote:

I set up my Orbi in Router mode and I have a ethernet cable connecting it's WAN port to the modem (Huawei HG8045).  I tried initially with the Orbi app and I was literally sitting next to my Orbi when I set it up; the app connected to the Orbi router (straight out of the box) fine (with default settings), and midway through the setup it somehow lost the connection (wouldn't connect again; but I connected to it via web admin UI on my computer just fine...), I wasn't sure what caused the problem, it could either be the change of SSID or the subnet that caused it.

Now that the device is running fine (I can connect to it via web UI), I don't wanna risk setting it up all over again just to get the app working...

Message 14 of 22
rtpub88
Aspirant

@FURRYe38, thanks for the info. but I do not have the problem of using the router (all my devices can connect to the Orbi and access Internet just fine).  I have similar issue as the original poster, i.e. 1 Orbi Router + 1 Orbi Satellite setup and running fine, can access admin interface via web with browsers (both desktops & mobile devices), connections are strong, all devices accessing Internet with no problem. THE ONLY THING THAT DOESN'T WORK IS the Orbi app, which keeps saying that it CANNOT FIND the Orbi router!!! I think the only time it does connects is when the Orbi router is at its default state (i.e. factory reset), and once I changed SSID & subnet from the defaults, the Orbi app refuses to connect...
This is NOT a huge issue, but it would be convenient to be able to manage the Orbi devices via the specialized app... 

Message 15 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you turned on Remote Management on the Router?

You have two routers on the line so this is reason why I posted about your modem. It's not recommended to have two routers on the same line.

@rtpub88 wrote:

@FURRYe38, thanks for the info. but I do not have the problem of using the router (all my devices can connect to the Orbi and access Internet just fine).  I have similar issue as the original poster, i.e. 1 Orbi Router + 1 Orbi Satellite setup and running fine, can access admin interface via web with browsers (both desktops & mobile devices), connections are strong, all devices accessing Internet with no problem. THE ONLY THING THAT DOESN'T WORK IS the Orbi app, which keeps saying that it CANNOT FIND the Orbi router!!! I think the only time it does connects is when the Orbi router is at its default state (i.e. factory reset), and once I changed SSID & subnet from the defaults, the Orbi app refuses to connect...
This is NOT a huge issue, but it would be convenient to be able to manage the Orbi devices via the specialized app... 

Message 16 of 22
rtpub88
Aspirant

@FURRYe38

I don't think I have another router besides the Orbi ones... anyway, it isn't a big issue (things are working alright excep the app) so I'll come back again when I have the time, thank you for your patience and effort in helping me!

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Have you turned on Remote Management on the Router?

You have two routers on the line so this is reason why I posted about your modem. It's not recommended to have two routers on the same line.

@rtpub88 wrote:

Message 17 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

You mentioned have a (Huawei HG8045). This is a modem with built in router. Reason why I posted about it.

Message 18 of 22
rtpub88
Aspirant

I see... thank you for your information. I'll have to check it out later.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You mentioned have a (Huawei HG8045). This is a modem with built in router. Reason why I posted about it.

Message 19 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know. Hope something will help out...

Message 20 of 22
rtpub88
Aspirant

I think I finally got it working...
For my setup, I disabled DHCP on my Orbi Router (I have my own DHCP server), so I was using manually IP settings on my iPhone; turned out that I hadn’t set the manual DNS which caused all the trouble; once I set it to point to Orbi Router the Orbi app worked!

I don’t know why it mattered (ain’t it all use IP to communicate?! Hmm... ) but that was how I got my setup working...

Hope it helps others with similar problem!
Message 21 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@rtpub88 wrote:
I think I finally got it working...
For my setup, I disabled DHCP on my Orbi Router (I have my own DHCP server), so I was using manually IP settings on my iPhone; turned out that I hadn’t set the manual DNS which caused all the trouble; once I set it to point to Orbi Router the Orbi app worked!

I don’t know why it mattered (ain’t it all use IP to communicate?! Hmm... ) but that was how I got my setup working...

Hope it helps others with similar problem!

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7