Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Betreff: iOS devices appear as "Wired"?

dstranathan
Apprentice

iOS devices appear as "Wired"?

Some of my iPhones and iPads (running iOS 11.4) incorrectly appear in the Orbi app and web admin console as "Wired"?

I have my Orbi satellites backhauled via Gigabit Ethernet to my Orbi router (all rooms were hard-wired with Cat5e runs in my new home at time of construction). But my ihones are not on the physical LAN - they are all using 5G Wi-Fi.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

Re: iOS devices appear as "Wired"?

I see the same bug.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 2 of 8
budy
Luminary

@dstranathan wrote:

Some of my iPhones and iPads (running iOS 11.4) incorrectly appear in the Orbi app and web admin console as "Wired"?

I have my Orbi satellites backhauled via Gigabit Ethernet to my Orbi router (all rooms were hard-wired with Cat5e runs in my new home at time of construction). But my ihones are not on the physical LAN - they are all using 5G Wi-Fi.

This happens, when you plug the LAN cable where the satellite is connected into the WAN port of the Orbi router. It will work, but the software get's confused, since this plug is only intended for the router, if your Orbi doesn't connect directly to your ISP and operates in AP mode.

Take a look at the manual about wiring satellites for wired backhaul and that issue should go away.

Message 3 of 8
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

@budy wrote:

@dstranathan wrote:

This happens, when you plug the LAN cable where the satellite is connected into the WAN port of the Orbi router. It will work, but the software get's confused, since this plug is only intended for the router, if your Orbi doesn't connect directly to your ISP and operates in AP mode.

Take a look at the manual about wiring satellites for wired backhaul and that issue should go away.

Nope. My Orbis are all correctly wired and I still see this. My Orbi “router” is in AP mode with its WAN port wired to my Asus router.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 4 of 8
budy
Luminary

I haven't seen this since 2.1.2.18, when NG seemd to have fixed that issue.

Message 5 of 8
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

It comes & goes. At this moment, my 2 i-devices show wireless, and my wife’s 2 i-devices show wired. Pretty random, but the least of my worries.

Message 6 of 8
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

On second thought, maybe not random. I’m connected to the main Orbi AP, and Mrs. Squirrel is connected to a wired satellite. From the point of view of the main Orbi, she seems to be wired. I’d call that a bug.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: iOS devices appear as "Wired"?

I some cases, it may not be a bug. It's the system detecting which connection is being used when it comes to dedicated APs. When a AP device is LAN connected to the main router and a wireless device is connected this AP wirelessly, the router is detecting the wired connection since the AP has converted the wireless connection to a wired connection between the AP and router. Seen this before with other Mfr routers and AP when using LAN between AP and router. The detection will be seeing the wired connection and anything travelling thru it, even when wireless clients are connected to the AP. So in this case, it's working as designed...

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7