Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

iPad 2 ios 9.3.5 Slow Wifi Speed?

la79
Apprentice

iPad 2 ios 9.3.5 Slow Wifi Speed?

So I noticed that my iPad 2 is getting super slow wifi speed? I am running IOS 9.3.5. Max speed is 20 mbps on Speedtest. I saw this discussion a long time ago:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Slooooow-iPad-3-amp-iPad-2-on-Orbi-everything-else-super-fast/...

It's marked as solved but there was no answer. Anybody else experiencing this and if so what was the issue?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
martyfp
Luminary

Re: iPad 2 ios 9.3.5 Slow Wifi Speed?

I just tested our iPad2 on 9.3.5. I could not get above 20mbps on it anywhere in the house. Same test with iPhone gives 60+

In my opinion, the iPad2 is just slow compared to newer tech. Not just the radio. It the processor is gasping for breath at most modest tasks.

Ipad2 was released 6 years ago and the hardware used to design it is older still. Happily, Apple have invested heavily in their microelectronics side and their hardware has improved greatly.

will retire our iPad2 this year for the new iPad Pro.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
rhester72
Virtuoso

Well...given it's a three-year-old device that's two generations behind on wireless technology, those numbers are just about right:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6388237?tstart=0

Rodney

Message 2 of 8
la79
Apprentice

Don't think it being a three-year-old device makes a difference.

Ipad 2 has 802.11n specs. Which theoritcally could allow for a bandwith of 300 mbps. I have Macbook Pro that is older than the iPad 2 that is blowing it away in speed tests.

Message 3 of 8
rhester72
Virtuoso

The iPad 2's radio won't even approach 300mbit.  The speeds you're getting from it -are- consistent with what it's been capable of, from both consumers and commercial reviewers, since the day of release.  It's had consistent wireless issues with pretty much every AP manufacturer on the planet.  I'm well aware of the 'bandwagon' effect, but in your case, the device's performance has nothing to do with Orbi.

Rodney

Message 4 of 8
la79
Apprentice

Again, I said "theoretically"with what is capable with 802.11n speeds. I never said my iPad 2 would reach that speed.

I'm reading a lot of generalizations in your comments but no proof of where your getting your facts. I would love to see this proof of data.

Message 5 of 8
rhester72
Virtuoso

Sorry, I'm not going to Google for you.  I was trying to help prevent you from wasting time solving the unsolvable.

Rodney

Message 6 of 8
la79
Apprentice

Figured you would say that. I'll wait for someone who may have some factual information.
Message 7 of 8
martyfp
Luminary

I just tested our iPad2 on 9.3.5. I could not get above 20mbps on it anywhere in the house. Same test with iPhone gives 60+

In my opinion, the iPad2 is just slow compared to newer tech. Not just the radio. It the processor is gasping for breath at most modest tasks.

Ipad2 was released 6 years ago and the hardware used to design it is older still. Happily, Apple have invested heavily in their microelectronics side and their hardware has improved greatly.

will retire our iPad2 this year for the new iPad Pro.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7