Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: iPad 3rd generation slow wifi speeds on Orbi: should I disable WMM / QoS?

danielfoster
Guide

iPad 3rd generation slow wifi speeds on Orbi: should I disable WMM / QoS?

Just got Orbi up and running
Ookla tests show fast wifi speeds on all of devices except for our 3rd gen IPads
Read on Apple Support about disabling WMM / QoS?
Would anyone suggest to do that in Orbi settings?
Or is this just a limitation to the older iPads as our newer ones don't seem to have this issue?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Message 1 of 8
djc6
Luminary

I installed my Orbi system (router + 2 satellites) in early November and had same issue with my iPad 2 and iPad 3.  One of the moderators was able to reproduce, but the problem still exists.  Here is my thread on topic:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Slooooow-iPad-3-amp-iPad-2-on-Orbi-everything-else-super-fast/...

Message 2 of 8
netwrks
Master

But in the meantine, keep WMM enabled.

Message 3 of 8
danielfoster
Guide

Thanks for people chiming in here. It turns out I have a similar problem on our iPad 4th generation.

Does Darren on any other moderators have any other thoughts here?

I notice in that other thread that djc6 pointed me to, Darren had asked about older blu-ray players being hooked up to our wifi network.

We do have 2 older Vizio blu-ray players and a Vizio TV attached to our wifi network. Could that really be the problem? Should I try to disable the wave forming settings?

I still have the eero I had purchased and am thinking of possibly reverting to that. I'd hat to do so, but it is frustrating that our older ipads are having these issues.

Any further thoughts from anyone?

Thanks

Message 4 of 8
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello danielfoster

Are you on the latest .34 firmware?

DarrenM

Message 5 of 8
danielfoster
Guide

Thanks, Darren. I just updated to the .34 firmware. Incidentally, how do we know when there's a new firmware upgrade available (besides having to login to orbilogin)? The wifi speed issues are resolved for the 4th gen iPad. But both of our 3rd gen iPads are still capped/throttled at 20 mbps. All other devices are getting over 100 mbps. Any further thoughts? We do have those 2 older blu-ray players attached to our network. Should I remove those from the network or would you suggest I go back in and disable  these settings:

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices
Enable MU-MIMO

Thanks again - Dan

Message 6 of 8
MarkC1024
Luminary

I have the same problem with my older iPads.  Existed before my Orbi if I remember right.

Message 7 of 8
Random12
Apprentice

It can't hurt to try and disable beamforming, just to see if it improves things or not.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7