Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

iPad Pro location services not work on Orbi WiFi network

Rusty105
Aspirant

iPad Pro location services not work on Orbi WiFi network

I have Spectrum high speed internet with a Cisco modem connected to Orbi router. All my devices (iPhones, AppleTV, MacBook) connect to the internet and work perfectly except for my iPad Pro. When connected to my Orbi WiFi network it can not locate the iPad therefore many apps will not work correctly. I have seen several posts of others with same problem but no solutions. 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: iPad Pro location services not work on Orbi WiFi network

@Rusty105 wrote:

except for my iPad Pro. When connected to my Orbi WiFi network it can not locate the iPad therefore many apps will not work correctly.

For those of us who do not have iPad Pro, perhaps you could give more information about "it cannot locate the iPad".  "It" refers to? Which apps will not work correctly?  My wife has a regular iPad Air, and she bangs away with it for hours (and hours) every day without any problems.  (Having been inoculated against "i" products years ago, I am able only to mumble, "sorry dear", when she DOES have a problem.)

Message 2 of 16
Rusty105
Aspirant

Maps can not determine my location, Google maps gives me an error that location can not be determined, Hulu doesn’t work because location can’t be determined. Also system can’t even automatically set date and time because it can not determine where iPad is located. It is a WiFi only iPad Pro 2018 model.
Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@Rusty105 wrote:

I have Spectrum high speed internet with a Cisco modem connected to Orbi router. All my devices (iPhones, AppleTV, MacBook) connect to the internet and work perfectly except for my iPad Pro. When connected to my Orbi WiFi network it can not locate the iPad therefore many apps will not work correctly. I have seen several posts of others with same problem but no solutions. 

Message 4 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

@Rusty105 wrote:

When I Google for "iPad Pro location services", there are numerous results offering suggestions for things to do on the iPad.  Since the iPhones, MacBook, etc. are all working, I have a strong suspicion that the solution lies in the iPad rather than in the Orbi.

Message 5 of 16
Rusty105
Aspirant

I’ve googled the same and haven’t found a solution. My location services work everywhere on the iPad except my home orbi network. When away from home on another network it works fine which leads me to believe it is something with my network. I also have an older iPad Pro that does not work at home.
Message 6 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Message 7 of 16
Rusty105
Aspirant

Latest Orbi firmware
Technicolor DPC3216 with Spectrum
Message 8 of 16
Rusty105
Aspirant

Spectrum technicolor dpc3216 > ng orbi rbr20

additional satellites NG rbs20, rbs50y

Message 9 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for the info.  The Cisco is definitely "only a modem" (no WiFi, no router functions) so one potential variable is off the table.

I have run across a number of internet comments regarding how "location services" work, specifically on the iPad WiFi only models.  Several aviation apps, for example, say definitely, "will not work on a WiFi only iPad because the WiFi iPad does NOT have a GPS, whereas the cellular iPad does a GPS chip."

This  is relevant because it seems to be that Apple somehow collects information about where WiFi Access Points are (by MAC address) and gradually builds a master database, and that at times the database does not update very fast.  iPhones, of course, have GPS chips in them. Here's a post from three years ago: https://macmost.com/forum/how-do-i-update-my-current-location-in-apples-database.html

Message 10 of 16
Timtech
Guide

I have had this exact issue.. and did everything on several iPad's in the house to make it work. 

If I went to any other WIFI, location would work.. So it was either my ISP or the Orbi.  I finally got it working this morning.

I ended up backing up my config file through the Web UI on the Oribi.  Then doing a full reset and restore of the config file that I downloaded.  Now locations are working on all of my iPad applications.  Hopefully that will work for you as well.

Message 11 of 16
Timtech
Guide

Weird. I see my location updated on all my devices in find my iPhone but hasn’t since restoring my back up config.

Still digging in
Message 12 of 16
Timtech
Guide

Hmm maps locations still work on the iPads
Message 13 of 16
timch
Luminary

No problems with my iPad Pro, Air 2 or wife's Air 4. Obviously not an Orbi issue. 

Message 14 of 16
Rusty105
Aspirant

I went through Web UI and reset system. Reset it up as an entirely new network. Turned location services off on iPad and turned it off. Turned it back on and joined new network. Restarted location services and still nothing. No timezone or location working. Any other options?
Message 15 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

Is there a forum (similar to this one) for iPad Pro owners?  I'll admit it.  I am still hung up on, "the iPad has NO GPS chip, so it relies on some Apple database of WiFi MAC addresses for location."  How the dickens does the database learn about this Orbi's MAC address?

Obviously, gazillions of iPads work correctly when connected to an Orbi (my wife's does). There has to be a reason.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7