Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

iPad drops wifi, solid connection on MacBook Pro

calmhike
Aspirant

iPad drops wifi, solid connection on MacBook Pro

Trying to troubleshoot inconsistent connection for iPad.

My MacBook Pro has no connection problems all over house, including on deck outside.

I am not running any satelites yet, for financial reasons.

I plan on buying a Wall Plug Satellite or additional Orbi Satellite Extender when prices adjust.

I know that I am not receiving the advantages of backhauling using only one unit, but I was interested in experiementing with one unit and I got a good deal at Best Buy for buying one unit to start.

On Macbook Pro, I am constantly getting great speeds in same locations as problems with iPad.

Updates are set to Auto.

I am using default settings, but after looking at other users posts, I have manually changed the channel for 2.4 to Channel 1.

One thing that is interesting to me...some users have said that they have adjusted their Transmit Power on the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands manually.

Unfotunately, I do not see any options under Advanced -> Advanced Setup -> Wireless Settings to change Transmit Power. 

Was that removed with most recent Firmware update?

Problems arise when trying to stream OnDemand TV episodes through Comcast Stream App.

30 seconds in, wifi drops and says I'm offline. 

15-30 seconds later, wifi picks back up and sometimes streams for several minutes before repeating.

Any suggestions on ways to improve streaming experience.

Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 10.56.14 AM.png

Netgear Obri RBR50 - Router Firmware Version V1.12.0.18

Macbook Pro 2015 - Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6

iPad Air 2 (Wifi Only) - iOS 10.3.3

iPhone 7 Plus - iOS 10.3.3

Orbi Location - Basement Media Room

Problem Location - Master Bedroom, directly above router

Home Design - Raised Ranch

House size - 2,600 sq.ft.

Internet Provider - Comcast HSI Broadband w/ Blast speed boost

Cable Modem - Netgear CM500

Speedtest from MacBook Pro on wifi connection where iPad drops wifi.

Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 12.00.20 PM.png

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 8
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

Re: iPad drops wifi, solid connection on MacBook Pro

Sadly you are enjoying the Netgear Orbi experience with their Junkware problems.  In another thread they stated 1.12.0.18 had a bug in it and you should roll back to 1.11.0.20.  I just saw that they have released 1.12.0.20.  You could go through the GUI to FW Updates and see selecting check for updates will go get the new FW, instead of waiting for it to Auto Upload.  Or, if you want to try something fast and simple, change the 2.4Ghz channel to 9 or 11. Play around with it until you see if a new channel will stop the behavior. I have had to do that before and it worked, but only on 1.11.0.20.  You will have to reboot the router to truly see if it makes a difference.  Good luck. 

Message 2 of 8
calmhike
Aspirant

Yeah, thanks for the update.
It's pretty clear that the performance of this router was oversold.

My iPhone is now acting up too.
Haven't seen the update come through yet for me.
Guess I will try reboot and hard reset back to factory and purchase another satellite to be sure. If I see a dramatic difference, I will keep it.
If I don't, I guess I will return it and sell this unit.

Message 3 of 8
ArtLee
Apprentice

Keep in mind... not everyone has the same problems; not everyone even has problems. I have an orbi router plus one satellite and haven't had any issues past the first day on the current firmware. I have 2 MacBooks, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, an AppleTV and a couple of other devices. Working great. 

Message 4 of 8
calmhike
Aspirant

That's great news ArtLee!

How about you share some more information about your environment and configuration.

That would be helpful in understanding why everything is so peachy for you.

Message 5 of 8
ArtLee
Apprentice

@calmhike wrote:

That's great news ArtLee!

How about you share some more information about your environment and configuration.

That would be helpful in understanding why everything is so peachy for you.

I have an Arris Surfboard cable modem ahead of the Orbi. I think I left orbi settings in default except to point to a different dns source other than Comcast. The router and sat updated overnight but the sat was disconnected. I used my devices as usual and after a couple of hours everything connected without my intervention. Everything stayed connected after a power outage and has remained stable. Dunno why. 

Message 6 of 8
st_shaw
Master

@ArtLeeIf I remember correctly, you initially had issues and were ready to return the Orbi system.  However, moving the satellite relative to the Orbi "router" resolved your issues.  You alse needed to move things again after the latest firmware update.  Correct?

Message 7 of 8
ArtLee
Apprentice

@st_shaw wrote:

@ArtLeeIf I remember correctly, you initially had issues and were ready to return the Orbi system.  However, moving the satellite relative to the Orbi "router" resolved your issues.  You alse needed to move things again after the latest firmware update.  Correct?

Yes, you're right.  I had terrible connection issues on fw 1.11 and moved the sat closer. Cleared things up for awhile, so I moved the sat back to the original, and desired, position. Stayed good until the update to 1.12 overnight. Could not connect to the sat leaving speed very slow at the far end of the house. I was too busy til late in the day to fool around with it. By the end of that day, everything looked great. Don't know how or why. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7