Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

iPhone not staying connected at 5Ghz

jrref
Tutor

iPhone not staying connected at 5Ghz

I have a 2,000 sq ft town home and the RBR50 without satellites works great. I've used the satellite solution at our church so i'm familiar with successfully installing Orbi.

I feel this solution is the greatest and simplest for most consumers to implement But one thing i find is if i move far enough away from the router and it switches to 2.4 Ghz to maintain the wifi connection, when i move back closer to the router it doesn't "always" switch back to the 5GHz band. I can determine this by running a speed test on my iPhone and i can see that the connection is "stuck" at the lower speed 2.4GHz. If i re-boot the router, then everything goes back to normal just fine.

I hope Netgear is reading these forums becasue this is probably a bug that can easily be fixed. Besides this, the platform works as advertised and very well. I just like not having to select a specific 2.4 or 5 GHz SSID and have it all done automatically for me depending on my device and wifi location in the house.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: iPhone not staying connected at 5Ghz

It just makes it so devices will switch between orbi units easier some devices have a hard time when moving between the units .

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you tried to enable the fast roaming feature to see if that will get the device to switch?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 5
jrref
Tutor

I have the 2.0 software and left fast roaming at it's default of OFF. This morning i turned it on and will report back. What does this feature actually do?

Message 3 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

It just makes it so devices will switch between orbi units easier some devices have a hard time when moving between the units .

DarrenM

Message 4 of 5
jrref
Tutor

So I tried this for a day now and it seems to have solved the problem. Thanks.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7