Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: iPhone suddenly won't connect to Orbi

kirkmc
Tutor

iPhone suddenly won't connect to Orbi

I've had a pair of Orbi RBK50s for about four years. Suddenly, this evening, my iPhone 11 stopped connecting to them. The iPhone shows that it's connected to 4G up at the top, but in the Wi-Fi settings, it shows that it's connected to the Orbi. But as my 4G coverage is terrible, I get almost no data when trying speed tests. 

However, when I look at the Orbi settings page for Attached Devices, the iPhone is connected (I've verified by the IP address and MAC address). Currently, it shows that it's connected to the satellite, which is upstairs, not to the main router, which is about 10 feet away. 

I've restarted the iPhone, reset network settings, and I saw there was a firmware update available for the Orbi, so I applied that and restarted everything. Other devices are connecting with no problem. (I haven't tried all my devices, but I've tried several and they work fine.) 

Barring a hardware problem with the iPhone, what could be going on with the Orbi? 

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: iPhone suddenly won't connect to Orbi

@kirkmc wrote:

Barring a hardware problem with the iPhone, what could be going on with the Orbi? 

There was a software update on the iPhone recently with a default setting to create "private" IP addresses rather than use the IP address of the actual WiFi adapter.  If you have Access Control enabled, perhaps the Orbi is seeing the iPhone as a "new" device rather than one it knows about.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7