Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: iPhone weak signal for wireless calling

mmkeaton
Aspirant

iPhone weak signal for wireless calling

My iPhone 7 plus wifi signal is low using my Orbi.  My download speed is 10 Mbps.  My ipads and ipad pros seem to have a strong signal and 29 Mbps.  Phone call are garbled with using wifi calling. My cell signal strength is low and calls on cellular from my house are garbled, so this is a big issue for me.   The main reason I bought the Orbi was to solve this problem!  Not happy spending all this money for nothing unless they can fix it.

I've tried turning off 20/40 Mhz coexistence, disabled MMW, implicit beamforming, mumimo and faster roaming to no avail.

Anyone know how to solve this problem?

RBR50 + SATELLITE

Firmware V2.2.1.210

WPA2-PSK [AES]

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Find out which Orbi unit the phone is connected too, the base or the satellite. 

Turn off the satellite temporarily while testing the phone with the base router. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Hoping NG support can have a look at this. So try this out as well.

Enable Beamforming and WMM, save settigs and reboot. 

Message 2 of 4
mmkeaton
Aspirant

Tried turning on / off settings you mentioned.  No joy.

Modem is from ATT - PAC plc/2wire, model 5268.  WIFI is off, so only using ORBI wifi.  Access point mode.

House is 2400 sq ft.  Base is downstairs, remote is upstairs.  Both ORBIs near the center of the house.  Standard wood frame house.  Ethernet backhaul.

Tested with satellite ORBI off, phone connected to base - no single strength change.

2 or 3 neighbor wifi detected. 

And I have an Airport Extreme in the house used as a switch that I have not disabled the wifi.  Turned it off, no change.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Can try this:

Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR40-RBS40-V2-1-4-16-mesh-network-drops-connection-to/m-...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Have-to-keep-rebooting-my-RBR50/m-p/1658603/highlight/false#M4...
Change the CTR/RTS threshold values for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (2341 and 2345 respectively), changed preamble modes to long preamble, and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

How was the FW updated? via Auto Update? If so, you might try a full factory reset and setup from scratch or do a manually re-load of the FW on the Orbi and setup from scratch and see. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7