Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

iPhone12 not connecting to Orbi (original)

xBigRedDogx
Tutor

iPhone12 not connecting to Orbi (original)

Hey Everyone,

tl;dr

... in the Orbi-network settings (on iPhone), there is a field to allow "Private Address"... which seems to override the normal iPhone MAC address with a spoofed one.  This is on by default.  If you turn it OFF, the iPhone will connect to the Orbi network fine.

Netgear - you might consider this a bug. IDK

Storyline

Just got new iPhone 12, brought home, wouldn't connect to Orbi (original RBR50?).  Anyway, it would attempt and fail to connect.  After getting phone setup using cellular, checked WiFi again, said it connected but there was no internet.

But there was internet - Orbi was up and OK.

After some investigation, I happened upon the newtork info (click circle-i) for the orbi network name in the WiFi Settings.  There is an option to, I guess, Spoof your mac address on untrusted networks.  It is on by default, it is called, "Private Address" ... turn if off (use the actual MAC address of the device and the iPhone will connect to the network fine.

Not sure how long this has been in the network settings... but, hope this helps.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
xBigRedDogx
Tutor

Re: iPhone12 not connecting to Orbi (original)

Never mind was my mistake. I guess the randomized Mac on all iOS devices was depleting my store of open ip addresses (I reserve them based on Mac). So it was pushing me over the top.

The real problem was I had no more IP addresses available. Was just coincidence iphone12 was first over the top. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Someting to ask Apple about. Remember it's there device and new iOS 14 that they introduced all these new security features. They should review this first...

Message 2 of 6
GMoGoody8
Luminary

Make sure you had no previous parental controls or static IP addresses assigned for the Apple devices.

I have an RBK50 and 6 Apple devices on latest IOS versions both Phones and watches including an IPhone 12 and 12 pro.

The only thing I needed to do when updating devices to newer IOS is remove the older MAC addresses from the connected client lists of Orbi.
Message 3 of 6
xBigRedDogx
Tutor

Never mind was my mistake. I guess the randomized Mac on all iOS devices was depleting my store of open ip addresses (I reserve them based on Mac). So it was pushing me over the top.

The real problem was I had no more IP addresses available. Was just coincidence iphone12 was first over the top. 

Message 4 of 6
xBigRedDogx
Tutor

Message 5 of 6
gr8sho
Virtuoso

The randomized MAC privacy feature is part of iOS 14, and has nothing to do with iPhone 12. Might want to rename title of thread if possible.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7