Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: inconsistent WiFi Speeds

juniormint88
Tutor

inconsistent WiFi Speeds

Anyone else see where back-to-back speedtests go between high (400Mbps) and low (200Mbps) speeds? 

Message 1 of 6
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

When you do internet speed tests sometimes your displayed speed on the test is limited by the weakest link in the line of internet nodes between your computer and the remote test server, now I'm not saying this is your specific issue, but it's something to have in mind, have you tried doing these speed tests in different sites and times?

Message 2 of 6
michael814
Star

As I described in another thread, my wifi tests ran through iPerf running on a hardwired computer, to eliminate internet speed as a variable.  While speeds were fine when the client device was connected to the main Orbi unit, speed fluctuated drastically when connected through the satellite, even under very favorable conditions (client in the same room as the satellite, with no obstructions).

Exchanged it, but the replacement unit did the same thing.  Finally gave up yesterday and returned it, reluctantly.

Message 3 of 6
st_shaw
Master

Yes.  I saw that behavior.  It was because I had a WiFi scanner program open on the laptop I was using to do the speed testing.  Check and make sure you don't have any other programs open that are using your WiFi interface.

Message 4 of 6

you also have to make sure when the client switches its not going to 2.4 gig as this was catching me out during some testing until i switched off 2.4 gig on my client device so it had to connect to 5 gig only

Message 5 of 6
michael814
Star

I made sure that the Airport Utility (which is the only way to scan WiFi networks on a non-jailbroken iOS device) was not running at the time.  I also ensured during testing that I was indeed connected to the 5ghz band (confirmed via the MAC address).  However, I have some additional info, which I posted in this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Inconsistency-with-Orbi-Speed/m-p/1209602#M3121

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7