Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: install zipped downloads for orbi

gigberk
Aspirant

install zipped downloads for orbi

What can I do to download and install the zipped software updates for orbi? They download but will not unzip! This is the most useless download system I've ever worked with. Help!

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so other will know. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

What browser are you using to download the .zip files? You do have to unpack the .zip files first before installing the .img files to the RBRs FW update web page manually. 

Try using IE11, Firefox or Opera to download the .zip files. The .zip files are working. Your browser or device maybe corrupting the files. I've downloaded them and many others have as well from this "system". The system IS working. 

Message 2 of 8
gigberk
Aspirant

Hi Furry, thanks for the feedback. I'm using chrome on a windows pc. As noted, I can download the file but I cannot unzip it. I believe you that they work, I just want to know how. I've read all the info and how to manually do this and that, but they still would not open. Why should it take me forever to get this done.

I'm comparing Netgear to my samsung phone. Updates to apps happen everyday and install without any issue. That's easy. This is not!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

Try downloading using IE11, Edge or Firefox browsers. Chrome has been known to do things it shouldn't. Something else on your PC maybe corrupting the files once they are downloaded to your PC. Try a different PC. 

You can have Orbi update FW as well if you have it check for updates. 

Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@gigberk wrote:

I can download the file but I cannot unzip it.

On my Windows desktop, there are two ways to unzip the Orbi firmware files.  When I click on the download link, a box pops up with two choices: (1) Open the file with Windows Explorer, and (2) Save the file.  If I choose (1) and right click on the .img file, I have the choice to open it or to copy it.  Open means "burn to a CD" (not what I want).  Copy means to extract the file and save it somewhere (I often pick the Desktop).  If I choose (2), then the zip file gets saved to my Download folder (my default).  Right click on the zip file and select "Extract".  This is a bit more complicated, because if I do not specify where to put the resulting folder, I have problems figuring out where the heck Windows put it.

Either way, right click is my method.  I believe that the program 7zip will unpack zip files.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? Smiley Indifferent

@gigberk wrote:

What can I do to download and install the zipped software updates for orbi? They download but will not unzip! This is the most useless download system I've ever worked with. Help!

Message 6 of 8
gigberk
Aspirant

Furry, I finally got the app to work. I removed it and re installed it on my phone. I did a full set up and the updates were then easily installed. There must have been an issue in my original app download but now it's working fine. Thanks for your help. Gig
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so other will know. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7