Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

installing orbi mesh with fios

t_fin
Initiate

installing orbi mesh with fios

i have two questions:

1) i want to cut the cord with verizon fios. do i need to keep my quantum gateway router? i read somewhere that i can connect orbi mesh via ethernet from the verizon box in my basement.

2) do i have to buy the orbi mesh from verizon? it's more expensive! can i buy from netgear? from amazon?

thanks!

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: installing orbi mesh with fios

One of the FIOS customers will know for certain......  my opinion is

The Orbi requires an ethernet connection.  Not coax.  Not fiber.  If what plugs into the FIOS router is ethernet, them maybe you do not need the FIOS box.

PLEASE do not purchase an Orbi from Verizon.  There have been several questions this summer from Verizon customers who are upset that Verizon has not updated the Orbi firmware.  They ask, "isn't there some way to load the stock Netgear Orbi firmware?"  and the answer is, "not a chance in hell."  People have tried..... and failed.

Message 2 of 5
petaylor
Aspirant

@t_fin wrote:

i have two questions:

1) i want to cut the cord with verizon fios. do i need to keep my quantum gateway router? i read somewhere that i can connect orbi mesh via ethernet from the verizon box in my basement.

2) do i have to buy the orbi mesh from verizon? it's more expensive! can i buy from netgear? from amazon?

thanks!

Hi t_fin,

Were you able to resolve your issue?  I may be able to help, buit 'm not sure what your definition of "cut the cord" is.  I'm used to hearing that mean you want to drop the cable TV service but keep the provider.  From your post, it souns like you want to keep your Verizon FIOS service, but you want to replace their equipment with your own.  But, if you've got your answer, there's no need for my input.

Ed
Message 3 of 5
t_fin
Initiate

@petaylor - sorry to have been unclear. was thinking i'd keep verizon for internet only -- because verizon seems to be the most reliable internet provider where i live, just outside nyc in nj. (they're kind of a monopoly here.)

so that was my thought. of course, i might move someday. maybe even soon. this came up because my contract with verizon is up, and i've pretty much had it with paying for tv service.

in trying to read up on what to do, it seemed to me possible to keep verizon fios where it comes in at the box in my basement and pull an ethernet cord to the first floor, where i have my verizon g-1100 router, which is currently hooked to the box via coax pulled up through the floor. so: replace the g-1100 with orbi mesh and replace the coax with ethernet to hook it up to the box in the basement.

would that work? are there other (better) strategies?

Message 4 of 5
petaylor
Aspirant

@t_fin 

If you can that Verizon fios to convert the signal to an ethernet cable instead of coax, you'd be good to go adding a mesh wifi solution.

Hope this helps.

Ed

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7