Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

internet disconnecting at least once daily x several months (2??)

jedfsu
Tutor

internet disconnecting at least once daily x several months (2??)

We moved to a new home Dec 2021. Using existing Orbi products and switched from Verizon Fios to Xfinity [due to Fios not avail where we are].  I purchase a new Motorola Cable Model MB866 DOCSIS 3.1 Multi-Gig Cable Model. 

We have an Orbi RBR50 basestation with 2 satellites.  

At least once daily, maybe more, the entire system goes down. This started about 1 month ago.  There have been no changes.  The system comes back on w/o us doing anything.  Everything disconnects including my Avaya VPN phone which is plugged in the the Orbi basestation and my iMac, also plugged to Orbi.  There is a Belkin surge protector plugged into  a wall outlet and a few cord extenders as I can't fit everything into the outlet.

Xfinity came out and replaced a filter on the pole, tech said likely would not fix the problem and it did not.  

Any suggestions? TY!!

Message 1 of 16
plemans
Guru

Re: internet disconnecting at least once daily x several months (2??)

1. what firmware are you on? 

2. when it drops, does anything show in the router logs? 

3. have you noticed if the router reboots during this? 

Message 2 of 16
jedfsu
Tutor

Well it seems that my Orbi firmware needs updating so am doing this now! Could this be IT?

I think the Orbi turns purple? Not positive- I need to pay attention next time.

And I’ve not checked router logs - not sure where to find this. I had gotten into the Orbi firmware at one point as my 2.4 network went down & I ended up paying netgear to fix as I did not have time. Some settings were incorrect.
Message 3 of 16
plemans
Guru

There was/is a couple of sketchy versions so it might help. 

I'd try that first. 

If it doesn't help, watch to see if its all devices or just devices connected to a satellite. 

You can also try swapping a power supply from one of the satellites to the router and see if its a power supply issue. 

Message 4 of 16
jedfsu
Tutor

Ty , I don’t think anything is connected to one of the satellites because most everything is in my office that I’m having issues with including my iMac and my VPN phone when it happens. Fingers crossed that firmware update is fixing everything.
Message 5 of 16
plemans
Guru

Just saying you could swap one of the power supplies from the satellite to the router to see if the routers power supply is going bad. 

Message 6 of 16
jedfsu
Tutor

Ah ok - got it. Will do next if continues. TY so much for your help. Grateful
Message 7 of 16
jedfsu
Tutor

Am still experiencing daily outages on my system and am very frustrated. I'm a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner and in the middle of Telehealth, I will drop a visit.  I work from home on and off and the rest of the time am in the clinic and average about 60+ hours a week in clinic  [i.e not home] so nonetheless, am not home enough to really troubleshoot this well. When I disconnect, it lasts a few min but it entirely too long for what I am doing. It disconnects from my secure site and then just screws up everything.  My ORBI turns purple and my modem looks like it remains connected.  I tried a hard reset of my entire system, firmware is updated and have swapped out the satellite plugs as previously suggested. My home is about 2800 sq feet, have an office on the first floor w/modem + base and the satellites are upstairs far, far away. what next?

Message 8 of 16
plemans
Guru

Its happening when your devices are directly connected to the router via wire? (not through the satellite)

Does it happen if you're computer is directly wired into the modem?

Message 9 of 16
jedfsu
Tutor

It happens to all devices, some are connected to Orbi base via cable: iMac & Avaya VPN phone, other devices are wireless: iPhones, laptops, Sonos, etc, ooma.  everything goes down and then comes back in about 2 min.  When occurs, Orbi base station turns purple, modem looks fully functional, all lights are same as when running normally.

has not gone down today so far & I've been working non-stop since 8AM EST [5 hrs 40 min]

difficult for me to plug directly into modem as the problem is so intermittent and others in home need to use internet.

Message 10 of 16
plemans
Guru

so you need to start at square 1. (especially if you're unwilling to test just the modem)

shut off all the satellites and just use the modem and the router. 

Test that for a period of time and see if it stay stable. If it doesn't then you do need to find a way to test just the modem. 

Message 11 of 16
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello jedfsu,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!!

I understand that your RBR50 is unstable which causes network outages. 

Please ensure that your RBR50 is in AP mode. 

To change your RBR50  to AP mode please navigate to the link below:

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 12 of 16
jedfsu
Tutor

I did this & now my entire home is down
Message 13 of 16
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello jedfsu, 

I understand the Motorola model you have is a modem-only configuration. In that case, the solution above will not work.

Are you able to connect a laptop or desktop computer to your modem to see if the connection is stable?

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 14 of 16
jedfsu
Tutor

yes I can connect my iMac. My Motorola seems very stable - when the orbi goes out for the brief time, all lights on my Motorola look stable

Message 15 of 16
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello jedfsu,

Thank you for providing that information. 

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7