Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: is the Orbi able to provide 300 mb over wifi ?

genobkk
Star

is the Orbi able to provide 300 mb over wifi ?

Last year I upgraded my system to D-Link dir- 890 plus powerline adapter I live in a 3 store town house so I used powerline adapter to place dir 890 on 2nd floor. My Fiber comes in back of first floor..  This set up worked until I upgraded to 300 mb. The powerline adapter seems to limit me to 100 mb, I bought a new powerline adapter same results.  I get 100 mb all over the townhouse on 5G.  I even tried hooking up the dir 890 direct to my fiber router on 1st floor and boom I get 300 plus download 200 plus on 2nd floor but single will not reach 3rd floor.  I tried extenders years ago but they lost lots of signal maybe newer ones are better.   

I am interested in the Orbi but see most people are testing only with100 mb or less. I want to get my full 300 mb on wifi.  I am a heavy streamer, use voip, etc. I could use current powerline adapter to use my Vonage and lower bandwith devices to keep them in same location, this would give me the freedom to put Orbi satalite any place on 2nd floor to get signal up to 3rd floor.   I would like to hear from people in similar situations with 300 mb download or more to see is it worth ditching the router I bought last year. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 8
rhester72
Virtuoso

On 5GHz, assuming you are within adequate range of one of the devices, yes - 300mbps should be easily achievable.  For devices that only support 2.4GHz or can't be close enough, you're unlikely to achieve the full 300mbps because the theoretical maximum is 400 and you'll maybe get half that in the real world (the upper ceiling for 5GHz is 866mbps).

Rodney

Message 2 of 8
Mikey94025
Hero

Be careful, those are wireless protocol speeds and don't reflect real world performance (especially with security enabled like WPA2).  I'm very happy with my Orbi but it doesn't give me wireless speeds as fast as my internet service.  With my Orbi I can now get 180-200 Mbps (via fast.com) over 5Ghz wireless whereas with my previous Netgear R8000 router I was only getting like 160 Mbps.  Also, my older laptop with only 2.4Ghz wireless gets only 85 Mbps (next to the base) vs. 240 Mbps if hardwired to the Orbi (or directly to my cable modem - I tried that too).

So you won't get 300 Mbps with 2.4Ghz.  We don't know for sure if 5Ghz goes up to 300 Mbps unless someone here can verify that it works that fast.  There may be some degredation from your max internet or another limit for wireless (but still above what I can see).

Message 3 of 8
genobkk
Star

I get 300 mb if I bypass powerline adapter and plug my current router direct to fiber  modem but as I said then signal will not go to 3rd floor.  My fiber box is on first floor.   The issue is my powerline adapter. I tried 2 gigabyte adapters and 100 is maximum I get get through them   I never tested the 2 4 gig band bypassing the problem powerline adapter 

Message 4 of 8
gfrey
Apprentice

My PC is about 20ft away from my Orbi Sat with one wall and I get a consistent 300-340Mbps on my ATT Gigapower.  I could never come close to that with my Nighthawk.

Message 5 of 8
Dan_H
Apprentice

Yes it does 300Mbs just fine. I get 300Mbps on the 5ghz channel on both the satellite and router. Here is an area where where I couldn't get any signal on my old ASUS router, and even there it is ~300Mbs.

http://the9quad.com/images/2016/11/01/IMG_0672.png

Message 6 of 8
genobkk
Star

Thanks. I am so tempted to buy it now but I just bought  that costly D-Link 890 last year witch works good, I never expected it to do all 3 floors but the powerline adapter just is not cutting it.  A good extender would cost $200 if it gave me great speed I would be happy but afraid of waiting the money.  

My cverage is not the issues with current router on 2nd floor it is powerline adapter performance.  I guess paying $400 and being happy is better then paying $200 and the extender no preforming how I want.  I would not be sure what to do with old router  

anyway thanks for the imput 

Message 7 of 8
genobkk
Star

I received my Orbi today and I must say I am impressed.  I do seem to some having placement issues.  I placed router on first floor back corner where my fiber connection comes in, then satalite on 2nd floor. This gave me 300 mb plus on first and 2nd flor but 100 mb on 3rd floor.  It seems 5G is not going up to the next floor and I am connecting to 2.4 gig.  

I decided to try putting the satalite on the 3rd floor thinking the signal would be to low to connect to the base but it connects. With satalite on 3rd floor I get 200 to 240 mb. The 2nd floor seems to bounce from 2.4 to 5 gig judging on speed test ranging from 100 mb to 220 mb.  I made a few final adjustments to position hoping 2nd floor stays closer to 200.    Strangly placing the satalite on 3rd floor gave me more even distabuted higher speeds but not reaching max, then on 2nd floor from above

as you see placement is very important and feel only way to get maximum speed would having an Orbi on every floor but overlapping could then become an issue.   I have more then doubled and even tripled my speed in some areas from my previous set up    I am impressed with the unit and will expertment with different placement options in the next few days, but today I tried many 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7