Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

nearby device won't connect to satellite - Do not mix RBR50 & RBS20

Raee
Aspirant

nearby device won't connect to satellite - Do not mix RBR50 & RBS20

FYI   rbr50   rbs50  &   2 x  rbs20 (rbk43 kit) satellites

No matter what power recycling, hard wired or wifi, etc etc no connection it seems that my iphone could smell the RBR50 and so it would never hook up to the RBS20 satelite.   Neither would my laptops. Finally, since we cannot choose which device connects to what device I had to decide what to do. 

After calling tech support I returned the kit to Amazon. 

In any case I should of simply bought a dual satelitte kit from the start. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: nearby device won't connect to satellite - Do not mix RBR50 & RBS20

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 22
Raee
Aspirant

Why? The object of the game is maximum coverage in a concrete home, btw latest FW.

Hence the addition of the 2 extra satellites.

Message 3 of 22
Raee
Aspirant

Also we can get 500mbs down and 20 mbs up on wifi on the RBR 50 

Message 4 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Why? "concrete home" this would be your problem. Concrete and steel will impact signal travel and performance. Your devices maybe picking the RBR since they seem to feel the RBR signal is better than the RBS. It's to the wifi devices to pick and choose where they connected too. Orbi doesn't do this. 

Message 5 of 22
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Why? "concrete home" this would be your problem. Concrete and steel will impact signal travel and performance. Your devices maybe picking the RBR since they seem to feel the RBR signal is better than the RBS. It's to the wifi devices to pick and choose where they connected too. Orbi doesn't do this. 

Not true

The router is the decision maker 

Message 6 of 22
Raee
Aspirant

So what that means is that the system does not work with a MIXED satelite as quoted... This will be my last post

Message 7 of 22
Raee
Aspirant

Hi Raee,

vajim (Virtuoso) posted a new reply in or on 2021-01-28 03:49 PM :

Not true

-----------------------------------

I am afraid your above statement is incorrect .   The user cannot choose which device attaches to which satelite.

Message 8 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try Voxels FW for Orbi if you think it will be helpful:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...

Good Luck.

Message 9 of 22
DeanB1452
Apprentice

I have one RBR50, two RBS50's and one RBS20.  One of the RBS50's is wireless and the other RBS50 and RBS20 are hard wired.  I haven't had any problems with devices moving from one satellite to the other.  Once in a while, a device will be connected to the router (furthest away) but eventually it moves back to the closest one which was the RBS20.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 10 of 22
Raee
Aspirant

Good for you but on my end it would never switch over, maybe another RBS50 would solve it I might try it but for now a hardwire connection might be a good solution.

Message 11 of 22
vajim
Master

@Raee wrote:

Hi Raee,

Not true

-----------------------------------

I am afraid your above statement is incorrect .   The user cannot choose which device attaches to which satelite.

that's NOT what I said.  The ROUTER decides.  

Message 12 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

@DeanB1452 wrote:

I have one RBR50, two RBS50's and one RBS20.  One of the RBS50's is wireless and the other RBS50 and RBS20 are hard wired.  I haven't had any problems with devices moving from one satellite to the other.  Once in a while, a device will be connected to the router (furthest away) but eventually it moves back to the closest one which was the RBS20.

Further proof that devices pick and choose where they connect too. The router/ RBS only provides the platform and signal to connect too. Fast Roaming helps devices move from one signal to another, based on if they also support fast FR. Then the device will freely pick and choose a better signal. If they don't support FR, then users have to force them by disabling the wifi radio on the devcie for a few seconds then back on, then the device will find the closer signal and connect to it. 

Message 13 of 22
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

@DeanB1452 wrote:

Further proof that devices pick and choose where they connect too. The router/ RBS only provides the platform and signal to connect too. Fast Roaming helps devices move from one signal to another, based on if they also support fast FR. Then the device will freely pick and choose a better signal. If they don't support FR, then users have to force them by disabling the wifi radio on the devcie for a few seconds then back on, then the device will find the closer signal and connect to it. 

you keep bringing this up.  Why?  To poke me in the eye

still trying to understand what difference it makes?  

using the arguement above, at the start it's the user who decides where the device is located at the time of connection?  Under that thought it would be the user who decides.  So there ya go....another option and answer to this useless question

Message 14 of 22
DeanB1452
Apprentice

I live in a 1600 sq. ft., 3 bedroom, wood framed, single story house.  Each satellite is about 30 feet from the router in each corner room of the house.  Implicit Beamforming, MU-MIMO, and Fast Roaming are enabled.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 15 of 22
vajim
Master

@DeanB1452 wrote:

I live in a 1600 sq. ft., 3 bedroom, wood framed, single story house.  Each satellite is about 30 feet from the router in each corner room of the house.  Implicit Beamforming, MU-MIMO, and Fast Roaming are enabled.

you may want to uncheck Fast Roaming 

Message 16 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

For that size of home, if you have the RBR and 2 or 3 RBS, that maybe having too much wifi signals. For 1600 sq ft 1 RBR and 1 RBS would be only needed. I have a 5000sq ft phone and use only 1 RBR and 1 RBS most of the time and coverage is good all around. 

@DeanB1452 wrote:

Message 17 of 22
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

For that size of home, if you have the RBR and 2 or 3 RBS, that maybe having too much wifi signals. For 1600 sq ft 1 RBR and 1 RBS would be only needed. I have a 5000sq ft phone and use only 1 RBR and 1 RBS most of the time and coverage is good all around. 

@DeanB1452 wrote:

copy paste not working?

5000sq ft phone.....that's a big phone

but we got ya...you meant to say 5000sq ft home...or my home is 32% bigger than yours

Message 18 of 22
Raee
Aspirant

My issue is now solved, NETGEAR's Tech support recommended to return the kit, the matter is closed and the RBK43 has been returned.  

Message 19 of 22
vajim
Master

@Raee wrote:

My issue is now solved, NETGEAR's Tech support recommended to return the kit, the matter is closed and the RBK43 has been returned.  

sorry to hear that.  Let us know what you end up with.

Take care

Message 20 of 22
DeanB1452
Apprentice

Originally I had just the RBK53 and some of the Ring cameras around the perimiter of the house had weak signals.  Added the RBR20 to the master bedroom to boost the signal to the Ring Camera in one corner of the backyard and moved one satellite to the other corner of the house to provide a wired connection to a desktop computer in my child's room as well as the rest of the backyard which was having dead zones before I repositioned them.  Basically a router/satellite in each corner of the house to cover my 6200sq ft lot.  Haven't had any issues with the Ring devices ever since.  Haven't had any issues roaming around the house or backyard streaming music on my iphone with fast roaming enabled too.  

Message 21 of 22
vajim
Master

@DeanB1452 wrote:

Originally I had just the RBK53 and some of the Ring cameras around the perimiter of the house had weak signals.  Added the RBR20 to the master bedroom to boost the signal to the Ring Camera in one corner of the backyard and moved one satellite to the other corner of the house to provide a wired connection to a desktop computer in my child's room as well as the rest of the backyard which was having dead zones before I repositioned them.  Basically a router/satellite in each corner of the house to cover my 6200sq ft lot.  Haven't had any issues with the Ring devices ever since.  Haven't had any issues roaming around the house or backyard streaming music on my iphone with fast roaming enabled too.  

Nice, so check those two options off the list

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7