Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

netgear orbi ultra-perfromance and At& fiber

KarenBell
Follower

netgear orbi ultra-perfromance and At& fiber

We currently have At&t fiber.  Just some preliminary facts of what we're dealing with....we have 4800 sq ft.  We have quite a few devices between phones, comp, smart tvs & daughters blue tooth diabetes equipment.  Our smart tvs buffer almost all the time when we access the internet.  Should we add netgear orbi ultra-perfromance to our existing system.  I am not very techy so if thats not right what is the right thing to add to our system to keep netflix and amazon from buffering all the time? The craziest part is that our biggest issue is in the room where the  router sits.  TIA

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: netgear orbi ultra-perfromance and At& fiber

IT would be best to add Orbi as the main wifi ssytem and turn OFF all other exhisting WIfi radios. 

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 2 of 4
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Before you buy another WiFi router, let me make a few observations, questions and suggestions:

1) You mention "AT&T fiber" but you never tell us what speed your fiber connection is. What speed do you pay for? What speed does your current WiFi router give you? (Test it via an app on a smartphone or desktop.)

2) What brand of smart TV's do you own? Certain brands are "problematic" with WiFi.

3) You mention your "daughter's bluetooth diabetes equipment". Bluetooth and WiFi are NOT the same. They do share similar frequencies (2.4gHz) but they are designed to not interfere with each other, so your daughter's equipment should NOT be causing buffering issues for your TVs.

4) Do you have neighbors nearby with WiFi? Interference from other WiFi signals is commonly the cause of slow, buffering connections.

Spend a few minutes to answer these questions and this forum may be able to help you. Good luck!

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@KarenBell wrote:

We currently have At&t fiber.  Just some preliminary facts of what we're dealing with....we have 4800 sq ft.  We have quite a few devices between phones, comp, smart tvs & daughters blue tooth diabetes equipment.  Our smart tvs buffer almost all the time when we access the internet.  Should we add netgear orbi ultra-perfromance to our existing system.  I am not very techy so if thats not right what is the right thing to add to our system to keep netflix and amazon from buffering all the time? The craziest part is that our biggest issue is in the room where the  router sits.  TIA

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7