Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: networking question - bridge vs. new network

Dd852
Luminary

networking question - bridge vs. new network

I have an Orbi 50 and satellite; I use my ISPs router as the link to its fibre. In the past, I always used the Orbi in Bridge mode. Today, I had to do a pin reset to factory settings as there was a big problem. During the initial set up this time, orbi said there was a conflict with an existing network and so switched me to a 10..... network. I shrugged and left it. So now my ISPs router is on 192... and Orbi is on 10... I did NOT set orbi to bridge. the ISP is still a NAT source as well. And yet... everything seems great! I have access to Orbi settings I didn't have in bridge (parental controls, individual on/off settings for devices). And... everything seems faster (though that might just be the factory reset). Am I missing something? There don't seem to be any NAT conflict errors. Is there any problem in running the dual 10.... and 192... networks? Sorry for what is probably a very basic netowrking question, but it's my first time not running orbi or another wifi source in bridge mode; I always bridged before. Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

I would avoid double NAT in general, especially if I am playing online game.

A good document from NG:

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Oribi doesnt' support or do Bridge mode. It does do AP mode if that is what your referring to. 

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@Dd852 wrote:

I have an Orbi 50 and satellite; I use my ISPs router as the link to its fibre. In the past, I always used the Orbi in Bridge mode. Today, I had to do a pin reset to factory settings as there was a big problem. During the initial set up this time, orbi said there was a conflict with an existing network and so switched me to a 10..... network. I shrugged and left it. So now my ISPs router is on 192... and Orbi is on 10... I did NOT set orbi to bridge. the ISP is still a NAT source as well. And yet... everything seems great! I have access to Orbi settings I didn't have in bridge (parental controls, individual on/off settings for devices). And... everything seems faster (though that might just be the factory reset). Am I missing something? There don't seem to be any NAT conflict errors. Is there any problem in running the dual 10.... and 192... networks? Sorry for what is probably a very basic netowrking question, but it's my first time not running orbi or another wifi source in bridge mode; I always bridged before. Thanks!

Message 3 of 9
Dd852
Luminary

Thanks. I couldn’t get AP to work at all now. Used to work for me. Weird. Wouldn’t pass the internet through. So I just ripped out the old router and will just deal with the only thing I lose (telephone - but I can voip). Thanks for the help
Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@Dd852 wrote:
Thanks. I couldn’t get AP to work at all now. Used to work for me. Weird. Wouldn’t pass the internet through. So I just ripped out the old router and will just deal with the only thing I lose (telephone - but I can voip). Thanks for the help

Message 5 of 9
Dd852
Luminary

It was a ZTE hyperhub.
Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Try one of the suggestions, Start with Option #2 and if this fails, try #3. 

I beleive your ISP modem already has a router and wifi built in...

Message 7 of 9
Dd852
Luminary

Thanks - I had been using #3 for about a year... and all was fine until this last pin/factory reset of the orbi and at that point it simply wouldn’t pass through any more. Anyway - i’ve Solved by simply junking the zte and using the orbi as router. All i lose is the ability to have a phone handset connected ... but voip will be fine. 

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes after a reset you would loose AP mode after the reset as the RBR would default back to router mode. 

Yes, if you can disable the modems router and use the Orbi as the router, then you'll be fine. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7