Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

no connections to satelite

JulesDuf
Aspirant

no connections to satelite

Hi,

I bought an Orbi RBR50 and a satelite a bit more than a year ago ; initially everything went fine, but now I just can't connect properly any device to the satelite.

Either my devices (phone, laptop), don't see the satelite at all and tries to connect to the router but it's too far so the signal is very bad, or sometimes they see the satelite but the connecion status shows "connected / no internet" and indeed there is no internet

I have tried many many times to factory reset and reconfigure the router and the satelite and this is what happens :

- no issue to configure the router

- when I add the satelite, it also seems to be properly configured (blue light ring and seen on the network in the app)

- I then connect a device on the network, from close to the router and it works ; I then move close to the satelite ; it works for about 5 seconds, and then I lose the signal ; if I was on the orbi app the app switches either to the detecting product page or on the "login required page" ; if I enter the password it displays time out

- if I go back in the main room next to the router it works

I am totally desperate especially as we are both working from home with my wife and we can't use the office as there is no proper connection

Thanks for your help

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
Mstrbig
Master

Re: no connections to satelite

What satellite model do you have? What firmware are you on? Have you tried a different WIFI channel? How far is the satellite from the router?

Message 2 of 10
JulesDuf
Aspirant

The satelite is RBS50, the firmware is 2.5.1.16. The satelite is about 10 m from the router  at the entrance of another room, where the wifi signal is still OK. Happy to try another channel but I don't know how to do that. thanks !

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 10
Mstrbig
Master

@JulesDuf wrote:

The satelite is RBS50, the firmware is 2.5.1.16. The satelite is about 10 m from the router  at the entrance of another room, where the wifi signal is still OK. Happy to try another channel but I don't know how to do that. thanks !

Orbilogin.com Wireless tab, 2.4Ghzx and 5Ghz channel. 

You can use NetSpot to see what your neighbors are using and pick a less used channel.

Message 4 of 10
JulesDuf
Aspirant

thanks for your answer. I changed the channels, and it partly works, now the satelite is detected and the devices can connect either to the main router or the satelite. The problem is that every couple of minutes some of the devices, when connected to the satelite, can't get access to internet (the status on the device is "connected, internet may not be available" while some other devices work OK.

I feel like I am going to continue to face issues

Message 5 of 10
Mstrbig
Master

How far are the satellites from the router and other satellites?

Message 6 of 10
JulesDuf
Aspirant

about 10 meters away, the satelite is at the entrance of a room, where the signal is still decent but when we go in the middle of the room the signal with only the router is not good enough.

the connections issues usually appear when we are close to the satelite, but what's really annoying is that it used to worked OK for a while and then suddenly we started to have all these issues. Last time I reinstalled everything and then it worked for a couple of months but this time it does not work even after multipe reinstalls

Message 7 of 10
Mstrbig
Master

Not sure if I asked, if satellites are wireless, is Daisy-Chain Topology checked or unchecked? On depends on how you have your satellites placed. If the furthest satellite relys on the middles satellite, it should be checked. 

Message 8 of 10
JulesDuf
Aspirant

I have only one satellite, wireless
Message 9 of 10
JulesDuf
Aspirant

back to square one, even with the new channel I lose the wifi when I connect to the satellite ; to be more precise if I reboot everything I usually can connect to the satellite and then after 5 min the status of the wifi turns to "connected, no internet". The connection to the main router still works.

Everything was working perfectly for months, I have not changed everything so I really don't know what to do

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7