Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: orbe app update alert

KitchSB
Aspirant

orbe app update alert

my iOS Orbi app (version 2.8.0.15) keeps wanting firmware updates and is confusing the satellite FM for the router FW.  Wants to make router same as satellite.  See pic where .38 is the current satellite FM and .16 the router.  Should know the difference

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@KitchSB wrote:

CBR40 cable modem.  Why does the app want to update FM when it is up do date? If you looked at the included screenshot, the app wants to update the modem version with the current satellite version.  Attached again

The screen shot was why I concluded it was the CBR40.  I have so little confidence in the "app" that I am not able to conclude anything from the picture.  What I would do is log into the Orbi web interface and open the Advanced Tab, Administration, Firmware Update and see what it says.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@KitchSB wrote:

my iOS Orbi app (version 2.8.0.15) keeps wanting firmware updates and is confusing the satellite FM for the router FW.  Wants to make router same as satellite.  See pic where .38 is the current satellite FM and .16 the router.  Should know the difference

The Netgear support web site shows the current firmware for the CBR40 (included cable modem) Orbi is indeed 2.5.0.14.

What model of satellite do you have?

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

p.s. It is probably worth pointing out a couple of topics that come up frequently on the community forum:

• There is a general sentiment that using the Orbi "app" to update firmware is not always successful and the "old timers" on the forum much prefer to use the web interface for firmware updates.
  • There is a HUGE discussion regarding whether it is (a) necessary, or (b) even prudent to update firmware just because Netgear sends out an email or the "app" announces it.  After being burned twice, I (personally) wait at least 4-6 weeks after people first begin talking about new firmware on the forum before I even consider updating to it.  I have one Orbi that has been on 2.3.5.0 for 18 months and is going strong.

Adages such as "look before you leap" and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." come to mind.

Message 3 of 7
KitchSB
Aspirant

CBR40 cable modem.  Why does the app want to update FM when it is up do date? If you looked at the included screenshot, the app wants to update the modem version with the current satellite version.  Attached again

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@KitchSB wrote:

The screen shot was why I concluded it was the CBR40.  I have so little confidence in the "app" that I am not able to conclude anything from the picture.  What I would do is log into the Orbi web interface and open the Advanced Tab, Administration, Firmware Update and see what it says.

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Please visit and post about this over in the Orbi with Cable modem forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/bd-p/en-home-orbi-cable

Thank you.

Message 6 of 7
KitchSB
Aspirant

Crimpon, thanks.  That app UPDATE indication bug has been there a long time and became irritating enough to investigate.  I will ignore from now on.

I often us the web version and it generally works well.

I manually updated my 3 satellites with the newest version.  So far so good.  But has not found the best network map -- one is still 'poor' as is awkwardly connected.  Wish there was a way to direct the network connections.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7