Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: orbi RBK50: Plex media server cannot find server on smart tv and firestick

teddylabs
Aspirant

orbi RBK50: Plex media server cannot find server on smart tv and firestick

On my old router I had a plex media server running on my computer, and I was able to download the app on smart tv and firestick and play media from the computer. With orbi i receive a "cannot locate server" or server not available message. windows 10, firmware on orbi is up to date. Please help

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 8
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Is there a setting in plex where you can tell it the IP address of the PC that is running the server?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 8
kcsupra
Guide

Try restarting your Plex Media Server. Your server IP address is probably on the wrong network.

Message 3 of 8
teddylabs
Aspirant

i tried restarting several times. I was curious as to whether it might make a difference if i was connected to 5 g band on orbi but 2.4 g on the plex server. Would this make a difference?

Message 4 of 8
teddylabs
Aspirant

Not that I can see. This is driving me insane...there is  no reason it should not detect it on the same network

Message 5 of 8
kcsupra
Guide

What is your Plex Media server running on?  PC?

Message 6 of 8
kcsupra
Guide

Check your SmartTV and Firestick to see if the IP adress are all on the same network as the computer running Plex Server.

You might have hard coded an IP address on your Plex Server, which maybe on a different network.

Unplug your SmartTV and Firestick and reboot it. See if that works as well. 

Message 7 of 8
raven_au
Virtuoso

So your actual question is does the Orbi pass the broadcasts Plex uses to discover servers.

The answer to that is yes, I have a Plex server on my NAS working fine with Orbi.

If you have changed the IP address of the server, either intentionally or by accident, you will often find Plex Player applications break. Some Plex Players will allow you to select another server (which will often even have the same name) others are not so good at it.

You might have more luck posting to the Plex forums if my description fits what's happening to you.

Ian

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7