Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

orbi RBK50 as access point and Sky modem in wifi mode

skiptime
Aspirant

orbi RBK50 as access point and Sky modem in wifi mode

Hello

I have an Orbi router connected to my Sky modem (this is in the UK) which has the wifi turned off). I had a double NAT issue and solved this by changing my Orbi router to a wireless access point. It's worth noting that as far as I am aware the sky modem (SR102) cannot be put in modem only mode: ie. I can't turn off NAT, only the wifi). 

Everything seems to be working properly, but I wonder if anyone thinks I've gone about this set up in the most efficient/productice way possible. Are there other options? (which avoid double NAT scenario).

Any advice? 

Thanks.

Simon

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: orbi RBK50 as access point and Sky modem in wifi mode

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode. DMZ helps with double NAT issues.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode. DMZ helps with double NAT issues.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 2 of 6
skiptime
Aspirant

Thanks for super quick and clear answer. 

My current setup is #3 of your options.

Are the three options you list in order of preference? That is, is #1 a better/stronger/faster/more stable option than #2 (etc)?

Any technical/practical reason why I shouldn't just stick with #3? 

Cheers

Simon

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

No differences accept for different ways of getting the Orbi connected to modem router combo units.  There various modems units out there so these suggestions are way to help one get connected. I prefer to bridge the modem/router. Most Mfr routers are designed and built better than modem/router units and have more features than modems do. Also dealing with NAT, this help to limit the double NAT condition. Specially for gamers and apps which are critical of NAT conditions.

If your system is working for you and your not experiencing any problems, i'd leave it and enjoy it. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 6
skiptime
Aspirant

Super clear.  

I'm very much obliged. 

Cheers.

Simon

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru