Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: orbi RBK53 setup wont connect the Orbi Network (TalkTalk ISP Router)

CDSScott
Tutor

orbi RBK53 setup wont connect the Orbi Network (TalkTalk ISP Router)

I am trying to set up a new orbi RBK53 system which I just bought from Amazon UK. My ISP is TalkTalk and the router they supplyed to me is D-Link DSL 3782. Because of my location I can only get their minimum fibre connection which averages 38 Mb. I am not a networking expert by any means, so I am lost as to what may be causing my problems, but I have paid circa £400 for the orbi system and I would prefer to get it working and keep it,  so I want to try my best to get it working before I have to return it to Amazon.

I tried to use the orbi app on both my android tablet and phone but both failed with the same problem, the app tells me it cant connect to the Orbi Network. I have seen advice telling me to turn off the WiFi on the TalkTalk router, which I have done. I also see some advice telling me that I need to configure the Orbi wifi router to Access Point (AP) mode. As the orbi mobile app does not enable me to do this, I tried to do it on Chrome browser via the orbilogin.com page.  This also had the same problem reported as the mobile app. It tells me to :

Connect to the Orbi WiFi Network

Looks like you’re not connected to your Orbi’s WiFi network.

Don’t worry, it happens to the best of us. Try the following steps to get connected:

It then advises me to clear the Chrome browser cashe, which I did. Still the same error. No more advice is given.

I have tried many time over the last 3 hours powering down my router, the orbi system, restarting the orbi app, but I always have the same problem. I have made some observations which may help other in forming an opinion and what advice you may give me, so here are my observations.

* After trying to setup the orbi via the mobile app my phone and tablet do see the orbi wifi connection, but the orbi setup does not complete because of the above error, i.e. the app tells me it cant connect to the orbi network. 

* Following on from the above point, I dont have internet access on any of my devices (phones, tablets) when the ethernet cable from the TalkTalk router is connected to the correct ethernet port on the orbi wifi router (the yellow port), but if I connect the ethernet cable to any of the 4 other ports on the orbi wifi router, then I do get internet ocnnection which works on the phone and tablet.

* I see advice to update the firmware on the orbi system, but I cant do this as I cant get the browser app on orbi login.com to even start because it tells me I am not connected to the orbi network.

* I want to let you know that I am using Windows Defender with Norton360, just in-case they could be part of the problem.

How can I get the wifi connection to the orbi working so that I can get browser version of the setup app at "orbilogin.com" working as this would enable me to put the Orbi in AP mode and also update the Orbi firmware. If this does not get it working it would at least let me eliminate these two potential issues and start looking elsewhere (with your advice and guidance).

Anu help would be most welcome.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

From your wired PC, login into TalkTalk router admin page and get the IP address assigned to Orbi.  Then from the same PC, login into Orbi admin page using that IP address.  If you still have trouble getting Orbi IP address or accessing its admin page with the IP address, find a paper clip and stick to back of Orbi until it blinks amber.  Then setup Orbi via wired PC instead of Orbi App.  Good Luck!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

D-Link DSL is a router and therefore you're right about switching your Orbi to AP Mode.  Once Orbi is switched over to AP mode, the orbilogin.com may not work anymore b/c Orbi is assigned a new IP address by D-Link router.

Login into D-Link DSL router to find out the new Orbi IP address.  Use a browser to access Orbi admin web page with that new IP address.  Here is a NG video: How to switch Orbi to AP Mode. 

Message 2 of 4
CDSScott
Tutor

Thanks for your response. When I use the Orbi app to set up the Orbi router it never completes and it tells me it can't access the Orbi network.

As I have already turned off WiFi on my Talk Talk router I am in a situation where I don't have wifi and I can't connect to the internet via wifi. I can still use my PC which is still connected to my TalkTalk router via ethernet, but when I use it to go onto orbilogin.com It tells me I don't gave a connection to Orbi. The Orbi router is connected to my TalkTalk router via the ethernet cable to the yellow port on the Orbi.

I am follow the instructions provided by Netgear, but I never get connected to the Orbi system, so I cant set it up.

I wish I could use the method you advised but this still needs a connection to the Orbi router which I don't have. 
Any other advice would be  most welcome.

Thanks
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

From your wired PC, login into TalkTalk router admin page and get the IP address assigned to Orbi.  Then from the same PC, login into Orbi admin page using that IP address.  If you still have trouble getting Orbi IP address or accessing its admin page with the IP address, find a paper clip and stick to back of Orbi until it blinks amber.  Then setup Orbi via wired PC instead of Orbi App.  Good Luck!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7