Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

orbi RBR40 constantly drops

marbran3
Aspirant

orbi RBR40 constantly drops

I have now had my Orbi RBR40 for 1 year. Interestingly, just after the 1 year mark for support, my router keeps dropping my internet. It will work for 5-15 minutes, then just drops. It was great up until recently. I've updated the firmware (currently running v2.5.1.16) but it still has problems. I specifically chose this because my home is over 5,000 sq ft. Any suggestions? 

Message 1 of 8
Spud2599
Tutor

Re: orbi RBR40 constantly drops

I'd restore to factory presets:

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

Orbi's upgrades since .1.8 have caused these issues. 

If factory reset stabilizes, then go through upgrade process one update at a time and test. 

Message 2 of 8
marbran3
Aspirant

@Spud2599 Thanks for the suggestion. It's definitely worth a shot!

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@marbran3 wrote:

I have now had my Orbi RBR40 for 1 year. Interestingly, just after the 1 year mark for support, my router keeps dropping my internet. It will work for 5-15 minutes, then just drops. It was great up until recently. I've updated the firmware (currently running v2.5.1.16) but it still has problems. I specifically chose this because my home is over 5,000 sq ft. Any suggestions? 

Message 4 of 8
marbran3
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 I don't use a router and never have since I got my Orbi. My internet plugs directly into my Orbi. I do have neighbors with Wi-Fi, but our lots our 1/3 acre so they aren't super close, and they've been there the whole time. Honestly, the only change for the last year is the Orbi is 1 year old. There haven't been any other changes.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok just asking. Since ISPs are varied and have various Modem HW, nothing is standard when it comes to ISP HW. Thus one reason why we ask. 

Hopefully a factory reset should resolve this. 

Message 6 of 8
marbran3
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 No problem. I'm happy to listen to all options. Firmware updates messing with things, tends to make the most sense. 

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. and then again, some don't see problems after a FW update. Seems like a mixed bag with Orbi ever since. No idea why some have problems after a FW update while others don't. It's crazy to say the least. Usually resets do help those that have problems. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7