Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: orbi admin password recovery problems (can't reach login screen)

joshishekhar
Aspirant

orbi admin password recovery problems (can't reach login screen)

Hello,

I forgot my orbi admin password. i am trying to follow recovery steps, but when I go to orbilogin.net or routerlogin.net, the webpage brings up a disney splash screen/advertisement window. if i click x to close the window, the web page goes to a 400 bad request page. If i click continue, it goes into "one moment please" black hole. I never reach the login page where i can follow the password recovery steps.

how can I reach login page where I can then follow the password recovery steps?

-AJ

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 24
joshishekhar
Aspirant

i have tried both firefox and chorome. same result.

Message 2 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

Can you try going to the actual IP address of the Orbi router, rather than the DNS name?  Mine is 192.168.1.1.

Message 3 of 24
joshishekhar
Aspirant

Yes. I tried that. Same result. 😞
Message 4 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

How about trying https://orbilogin.net

The browser will complain, "Invalid SSL Certificate", but just select "Advanced Options" (or whatever) and go to the site anyway.

Message 5 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

If none of this works, it may be time to get out the paperclip and do a "Factory Reset".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMw4ePACgc4 

Message 6 of 24

Is this Orbi connected to a modem? If so, what is it?

Any chance that it is also a router that does wifi and has some LAN ports on the back?

Message 7 of 24
Netlook
Initiate

Was this ever resolved without a factory reset?

My Orbi has been working fine and suddenly I cannot log on with my Admin password which i have saved in a password manager.  I have had to rest the password in the past so the questions are set up but similar to this string I always get a 400 Bad Request when I try to use the site to reset the admin password.

Message 8 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

@Netlook wrote:

My Orbi has been working fine and suddenly I cannot log on with my Admin password which i have saved in a password manager.  I have had to rest the password in the past so the questions are set up but similar to this string I always get a 400 Bad Request when I try to use the site to reset the admin password.

Have you tried typing in the password that was saved in the password manager?

(I ask because I am tempted to install a password manager and am wondering if there are an "gotcha's" in store. Such as under certain circumstances the manager "forgets" or loses the connection between web site and password.)

Just clarify, you are on the screen (attached) which pops up after the user password input is rejected three times, correct?

After entering the serial number, THEN the 400 Bad Request screen comes up?

Message 9 of 24
Netlook
Initiate

Initially I was trying to log on to the Orbi App.  The app does not recognize my Admin password though everything was working 4 days ago.

You cannot reset the password from the ORBI app.  There are directions that tell you to go to routerlogin.net.  There are also about 2 other URLS you can use to access the router though the brower in addition to the IP address.  The same thing happens to me all 4 ways.

When I do that it pops up a window about CIrcle and when I close that it goes immediately to the 400 message.  It will not load the first page at all so I can even choose to recover/reset the admin password.

Thsi page used to load fine as I had to recover the Admin password one time previously.

Message 10 of 24
Milo04
Initiate

I have the same problem I hope someone can help us
Message 11 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Wire connect a PC to the router and factory reset the router using the back push pin button. Hold it in until the top led turns on AMBER then let go. Power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds than back on. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate on top of the RBR, then log in to orbilogin.com using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. This time write down all important information for safe keeping later on.

@Milo04 wrote:
I have the same problem I hope someone can help us

Message 12 of 24
DrJohnH
Initiate

I have run into the same Circle problem and see there is still no resolution. It is entirely unacceptable to do a reset to recover a password. Netgear's response is a pile of s**t and I will not buy another Netgear product if this cannot be fixed post-haste.

Message 13 of 24
fmalloy
Luminary

@DrJohnH wrote:

It is entirely unacceptable to do a reset to recover a password. 

If you read these boards regularly you will see that the recommendation is to "factory reset" for any and every problem under the sun. Is it raining outside? Factory reset!

To make matters worse, there are lots of postings where a firmware update failed, and even a factory reset doesn't work, requiring some crazy TFTP gyrations and instances of bricked routers. 

There are only two occasions where your router should get factory reset - 1) at the factory, and 2) when you're selling the router to someone else. To paraphrase Steve Jobs - if you need to fix the problem with a factory reset, you blew it.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 14 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

This time write down all important information for safe keeping later on after the reset. After makeing sure the system works after setting up, be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. This saves time if a reset is needed again. 

@DrJohnH wrote:

I have run into the same Circle problem and see there is still no resolution. It is entirely unacceptable to do a reset to recover a password. Netgear's response is a pile of s**t and I will not buy another Netgear product if this cannot be fixed post-haste.

Message 15 of 24
alokeprasad
Mentor

@fmalloy wrote:

@DrJohnH wrote:

It is entirely unacceptable to do a reset to recover a password. 

If you read these boards regularly you will see that the recommendation is to "factory reset" for any and every problem under the sun. Is it raining outside? Factory reset!

We are all users here.  Without access to NG's code or resources.  So, when we get flummoxed, then factory reset provides a common starting point for starting over.  It's not ideal, but it is the great equalizer and a place to start.

To make matters worse, there are lots of postings where a firmware update failed, and even a factory reset doesn't work, requiring some crazy TFTP gyrations and instances of bricked routers. 

That is unacceptable situation for a well-designed hardware and firmware update process.  NG-scanctioned FW update process should never need such back-door methods.  But, if one is out of warranty, then it becomes the only thing to try.  If NG pushes and installs a firmware without user intervention, then they should fix this even out of warranty.  That is my opinion, but I could say that till the cows come home... I won't matter.  Maybe a reasonable NG tech support or moderator would intervene then.

There are only two occasions where your router should get factory reset - 1) at the factory, and 2) when you're selling the router to someone else. To paraphrase Steve Jobs - if you need to fix the problem with a factory reset, you blew it.

Agree 100%

Message 16 of 24
bremer77
Aspirant

i had the same problem after the newe software update.

first of all i only had to typ in the username and then leave the password tray empty.

then i was abble to make a new password

Message 17 of 24
vajim
Master

@alokeprasad wrote:

Agree 100%

you left one out.....when you can't remember your password as recommended by Netgear

Message 18 of 24
LunaBuna
Initiate

I am hoping someone can help me.

I have the Orbi Home Wifi System RBK13 and my app has decided to log me out and will not allow me to log back in. I am on the admin password page and to be honest I cannot recall ever changing the password. But password whcih I believe is the default doesnt work. I have been trough the orbbilogin.com/,net pages and all the other suggestions on here and I cannot even see a proper landing page. Either way I am not able to follow the instructions provided, as in cancel and then forgot password and the home page is so dreadful. Plain text and no images at all. Netgear dont have a chat facility and I don't have support apparently even though my router is just over 12 months old. All I need is a password recovery option. I really don't want to do a facory reset as I am worried I will have to update all of my connected devices. single mum who's child would lose thier mind if we didnt have internet access. Which is actulaly pretty ropey atm as one of my satellites doesn't seem to be working.

If anyone can help I would be massively appreacitive.

Needless to say I cannot believe that a company as large as Netgear makes password reset soooo difficult. This is the 3rd evening I have been trying to resolve this. I am about to lose my mind.

Please help!

Message 19 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Wire connect a PC to the router and factory reset the router using the back push pin button. Hold it in for 15 seconds then let go. Power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds than back on. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate on top of the RBR, then log in to orbilogin.com using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. This time write down all important information for safe keeping later on.

@LunaBuna wrote:

I have the Orbi Home Wifi System RBK13 and my app has decided to log me out and will not allow me to log back in. I am on the admin password page and to be honest I cannot recall ever changing the password. But password whcih I believe is the default doesnt work. I have been trough the orbbilogin.com/,net pages and all the other suggestions on here and I cannot even see a proper landing page. Either way I am not able to follow the instructions provided, as in cancel and then forgot password and the home page is so dreadful. Plain text and no images at all. Netgear dont have a chat facility and I don't have support apparently even though my router is just over 12 months old. All I need is a password recovery option. I really don't want to do a facory reset as I am worried I will have to update all of my connected devices. single mum who's child would lose thier mind if we didnt have internet access. Which is actulaly pretty ropey atm as one of my satellites doesn't seem to be working.

Needless to say I cannot believe that a company as large as Netgear makes password reset soooo difficult. This is the 3rd evening I have been trying to resolve this. I am about to lose my mind.

Please help!

Message 20 of 24

This is message number ~20 in a discussion that started over a year go.

You might get some useful feedback, but you would do yourself a favour by starting from scratch.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you do want help with your problem, check previous stuff that may be related then start your own discussion.

If you do decide to ask a question, you should provide more details and your own version of the information that the forum suggests that you provide. For example, as this is a router, it helps to know what modem you are using and the various things that you have tried to fix the problem.

Message 21 of 24
InLA90046
Initiate

I am having the same problem.
Tried even buying a new Orbi system and it craps out for the URC smart home wired device

Orbi support just shoos you off the phone I hate Orbi
Message 22 of 24

@InLA90046 wrote:
....it craps out for the URC smart home wired device

Sadly, I can't understand that.

What does "craps out" really mean?

What is a "URC smart home wired device"?

Message 23 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@LunaBuna wrote:

Please help!

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 13 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7