Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

orbi and nighthawk

bent69
Aspirant

orbi and nighthawk

I got rid of my FIOS cable modem and now am using Orbi as my main router and a nighthawk in AP mode. Nighthawk network has a different name. For some reason, Orbi keeps kicking the 2.4Ghz band of the nighthawk offline. This causes certain devices that are only compatible with 2.4 Ghz type networks offline as well. The 5ghz stay on. This only started happening when I switched from FIOS cable modem to my own Orbi. The nighthawk was always there in A/P mode. Is this familiar to anyone? Any potential solutions?

Thank you all in advance for your input! 

Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: orbi and nighthawk

What Orbi and Nighthawk model units do you have? 

Message 2 of 14
bent69
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 and the nighthawk is X4S

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? The RBR is not a modem.

Ensure the R7800 is using far separate channels on 2.4 and 5Ghz from what is used on the RBR50. 

What is the distance between the R7800 and RBR50? 30 feet or more is recommended.

Message 4 of 14
bent69
Aspirant

I am not sure on the firmware version, but made me think that I should porobably update the Nighthawk one. Trying to remember what I changed the login info to 🙂

Frontier ONT I-211M-L

Names are different and the distance is probably more than 30 feet.

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ensure the R7800 is using far separate channels on 2.4 and 5Ghz from what is used on the RBR50. R7800 set to channel 1 and RBR set to 11. 

Message 6 of 14
bent69
Aspirant

will do, if I can figure out how to log in to the nighthawk 🙂

Message 7 of 14
bent69
Aspirant

Orbi's firmware version is V2.7.3.22

Message 8 of 14
bent69
Aspirant

orbi's 2.4Ghz channel is set to Auto and 5Ghz is set to 48. Should I change the 2.4Ghz from Auto to 11? 

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Another think to try as well after checking channels on the R7800, turn downt the power output of the radios. Helps reduce noise and  interferences between the R7800 and RBR. 

Message 10 of 14
bent69
Aspirant

so, both routers 2.4Ghz channels were set to Auto. I changed them to 01 and 11 as per your suggestion and will keep my fingers crossed. On your other suggestion, how do I turn down power outputs of the radios? 

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 12 of 14
bent69
Aspirant

thank you!

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38