× Some paid Circle Parental controls customers may be showing free options only. Router firmware correcting this issue will be available ASAP. Visit Status.NETGEAR.com for updates.

Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 2445 views
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Reply
Highlighted

orbi constantly dropping internet

I consistently for the last many months had outages of my internet connection on the orbi network - in past it happened once or twice a week for a few minutes. enough to be annoying but not enough to try fix it.

 

note - only orbi router thinks the internet is offline. if i connect via the same wire another laptop or router or turn on my cable modem wifi the internet is just fine. Its orbi that is thinking the internet is offline when it is not.

 

now after latest firmware update to V2.1.4.16 it is happening 3-5 times daily sometimes more.

 

I tried opening support cases and even buy support but all netgear pages for that just shows up empty - now trying here. hope you can help.

 

thanks!

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 20
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: orbi constantly dropping internet

 
Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 2 of 20
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: orbi constantly dropping internet

I had recently bought RBK43 for a couple of days and experienced the same issue. The orbi kept dropped in internet connection few times a day. 

Really felt annoyed.

Hope they will issue new firmware and tackle the issue.

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 3 of 20
Highlighted
Guru

Re: orbi constantly dropping internet

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
 .
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).


@edliu97 wrote:

I had recently bought RBK43 for a couple of days and experienced the same issue. The orbi kept dropped in internet connection few times a day. 

Really felt annoyed.

Hope they will issue new firmware and tackle the issue.





My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CM1100>Orbi RBK50 v2.5.1.16 and Orbi RBK853 v3.2.11.2(AP Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, Orbi RBK852, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 4 of 20
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: orbi constantly dropping internet

It was not working and getting worse after changed the setting.

The disconnection kept occur a few times in an hour. Really exhausted in dealing with this orbi.

It seemed there are huge problems in continuing connection the internet and the latest firmware has not addressed to this issue.

Hope they could address it quick and fast, otherwise other consumers will buy other brands instead of netgear

 

Message 5 of 20
Highlighted
Guru

Re: orbi constantly dropping internet

Please provide feeback to the questions presented so we can get a better idea of your situation and might be able to help you better.

Not everyone is having a bad experience with there Orib systems. However some it just takes some fiddling with or troubleshooting to get workign better. You also may have a bad system which may need to be RMAd. However we can't determine that untill we get more information and try a few things first. This problem maybe only with your system and not FW related.

There is a new beta FW available as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Looking-for-a-select-group-of-Orbi-Community-members-that-are/...

 

There are pleanty of other users that are having good experiences.

 https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Satellite-Will-Not-Factory-Reset/m-p/1639176/highlight/tr...

  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Does-Port-Forwarding-Require-a-Public-IP-Address/td-p/1637445/...

 


@edliu97 wrote:

It was not working and getting worse after changed the setting.

The disconnection kept occur a few times in an hour. Really exhausted in dealing with this orbi.

It seemed there are huge problems in continuing connection the internet and the latest firmware has not addressed to this issue.

Hope they could address it quick and fast, otherwise other consumers will buy other brands instead of netgear

 


 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CM1100>Orbi RBK50 v2.5.1.16 and Orbi RBK853 v3.2.11.2(AP Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, Orbi RBK852, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 6 of 20
Highlighted

Re: orbi constantly dropping internet

What FW is currently loaded?

2.1.4.6

 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
 Swisscom, internet box plus, siligence,  SGA441SW


What is the size of your home?

 

2.5 stories 

 

Sq Ft?

 

~160m2


What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

 

from router to satalite near TV is approx 3 meters

from router to satellite on attic is approx 10 meters

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

 

i tried iterate all of them - no difference.


Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

 

1 sometimes 2 but they don’t overlap/interfere afaik.


Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

 

made no difference. If anything it kinda got worse.

 

In the end I completely factory reset everything and i’ve Now been running for approx 2 days without noticeable problems. 

 

This is though the same thing I do every now and then when internet connection starts dropping out or some other issue occurs. I still would like to understand why orbi thinks there is no internet when everything else can connect fine via the Swisscom router by a cable (or WiFi but i have that turned off on Swisscom to not interfere with orbi)

 

thank you

Message 7 of 20
Highlighted
Master

Re: orbi constantly dropping internet

Are you sure that your Swisscom modem is configured as a bridge and not a router?

My Setup Internet Fiber ONT 250↓/250↑ISP Telenor | Wifi Router Orbi RBK50 AC3000, Router Mode, Wired Backhaul / Orbi RBK852 AX6000, Router Mode, Wireless Backhaul | Switches Netgear GS208Time Zone CET (Sweden)

Message 8 of 20
Highlighted
Guru

Re: orbi constantly dropping internet

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

 

30 feet is recommended in between between router and satellite to begin with depending upon building materials.


@gearnetxam wrote:

What FW is currently loaded?

2.1.4.6

 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
 Swisscom, internet box plus, siligence,  SGA441SW


What is the size of your home?

 

2.5 stories 

 

Sq Ft?

 

~160m2


What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

 

from router to satalite near TV is approx 3 meters

from router to satellite on attic is approx 10 meters

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

 

i tried iterate all of them - no difference.


Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

 

1 sometimes 2 but they don’t overlap/interfere afaik.


Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

 

made no difference. If anything it kinda got worse.

 

In the end I completely factory reset everything and i’ve Now been running for approx 2 days without noticeable problems. 

 

This is though the same thing I do every now and then when internet connection starts dropping out or some other issue occurs. I still would like to understand why orbi thinks there is no internet when everything else can connect fine via the Swisscom router by a cable (or WiFi but i have that turned off on Swisscom to not interfere with orbi)

 

thank you


 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CM1100>Orbi RBK50 v2.5.1.16 and Orbi RBK853 v3.2.11.2(AP Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, Orbi RBK852, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 9 of 20
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: orbi constantly dropping internet

are you connecting anything to the ethernet ports?  Try to not connect anything to the ORBI's (esp satellite) ethernet ports and see if that helps

Message 10 of 20
Highlighted

Re: orbi constantly dropping internet

Orbi is running in AP mode.

 

in any case why should bridge mode on modem matter if the connection works at all other times ? Curious to know. 

Message 11 of 20
Highlighted

Re: orbi constantly dropping internet

I’m doing option 3. And it works fine until it starts thinking there is no internet Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 20
Highlighted

Re: orbi constantly dropping internet

I have a single sonos connected to it. I had that directly in my modem before but stopped doing that since I would then completely loose sonos access when orbi thinks the internet is down. 

Message 13 of 20
Highlighted
Guru

Re: orbi constantly dropping internet

Possible ISP service issue at the modem, interference from other wifi devices or nieghbors. Bad Lan cable. Possible problem between the router and modem. Let us know if this continues.

 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CM1100>Orbi RBK50 v2.5.1.16 and Orbi RBK853 v3.2.11.2(AP Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, Orbi RBK852, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 14 of 20
Highlighted

Re: orbi constantly dropping internet

No interruptions/interferences - I live in a stadalonehouse. 

 

The lan cable I guess coudo be culprit but so far the same cable worked fine for testing network access for other devices plus it seem to work just fine after a factory reset. Thus I still see most evidence pointing to some bug in orbi when looking at the many other reports of sudden lost internet. 

 

 

Message 15 of 20
Highlighted
Guru

Re: orbi constantly dropping internet

Might ask NG for additional help and information on this. Might ask them for an RMA.

@Christian_R

@Blanca_O


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CM1100>Orbi RBK50 v2.5.1.16 and Orbi RBK853 v3.2.11.2(AP Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, Orbi RBK852, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 16 of 20
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: orbi constantly dropping internet

Hello @gearnetxam

 

Please let us know if your issues persists. 

 

 

~Christian 

Message 17 of 20
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: orbi constantly dropping internet

Hello @edliu97

 

If your products are new and your issue persists, I would suggest contacting support.

 

https://www.netgear.com/support/

 

 

~Christian 

 

Message 18 of 20
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: orbi constantly dropping internet

Just been backed from my vacation.

The internet stopped connection for 4 times in this evening, really frustrating.

 

The firmware is the latest one V2.1.4.16. My modem model Technocolor TD3300P.

I don't know what is Mfr and model# of the ISP modem? I lived in an apartment around 1000 Square feet. 

 

I am just an ordinary computer user BUT not an expert. I expect the NG was suitable for most of the user liker ready to wear shoes. And it seemed NG was like a pair of bespoke shoes and need to do all the measurement and fine tuning.

Message 19 of 20
Highlighted
Guru

Re: orbi constantly dropping internet

 

Whats the distance between the Orib router and setelliite? 1000sq ft place is probably too small to run the Orbi router and a satellite. The Orbi router alone can cover up and beyond 1000Sq ft. Have you tried running the Orbi router alone with out the satellite turn ON?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? If you live in a apartment complex, there maybe neighboring wifi that can cause interferences...Fine tuning will be needed in these cases...nature of the beast.


@edliu97 wrote:

Just been backed from my vacation.

The internet stopped connection for 4 times in this evening, really frustrating.

 

The firmware is the latest one V2.1.4.16. My modem model Technocolor TD3300P.

I don't know what is Mfr and model# of the ISP modem? I lived in an apartment around 1000 Square feet. 

 

I am just an ordinary computer user BUT not an expert. I expect the NG was suitable for most of the user liker ready to wear shoes. And it seemed NG was like a pair of bespoke shoes and need to do all the measurement and fine tuning.




 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CM1100>Orbi RBK50 v2.5.1.16 and Orbi RBK853 v3.2.11.2(AP Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, Orbi RBK852, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 20 of 20