Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

orbi dns settings

Lenster45
Aspirant

orbi dns settings

I am running windows 10.

If I set up the Orbi to use specific DSN server addresses and leave the Windows 10 IVP4 properties to obtain DNS server automatically, when I runthe DNSbench program, it show me using 192.168.1.1 as the DNS server. If I then go into the Windows 10 IVP4 properties and fill in the DNS address I want and click on use these DNS servers, DNSBench shows I am using the coreect addresses. How do I set up Orbi and Windows 10 so the ORBI decides which DNS servers to use.

By the way, I have rebooted windows after each change.

Message 1 of 15
Fl1ntstone
Apprentice

Re: orbi dns settings

Hi,

As Orbi allocates your workstation an IP address via DHCP, the Orbi will also resolve DNS for you and gives you the IP address 192.168.1.1 of the Orbi to do that.  I don't believe that the Orbi DHCP server can give you the specified DNS servers that you require?  If it is an issue for you then manually set them up?

CheerZ

Message 2 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

When using the DNSBench program, it's best to run that program with the PC directly connected to the ISP modem/ONT. By pass any router to get accurate DNS test results with the modem. As mentioned, the Orbi and any NG router only hands out router IP address for connected clients DNS. You can specify what DNS to use on the router and it will use what you configure here. 

@Lenster45 wrote:

I am running windows 10.

If I set up the Orbi to use specific DSN server addresses and leave the Windows 10 IVP4 properties to obtain DNS server automatically, when I runthe DNSbench program, it show me using 192.168.1.1 as the DNS server. If I then go into the Windows 10 IVP4 properties and fill in the DNS address I want and click on use these DNS servers, DNSBench shows I am using the coreect addresses. How do I set up Orbi and Windows 10 so the ORBI decides which DNS servers to use.

Message 3 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

How do I set up Orbi and Windows 10 so the ORBI decides which DNS servers to use.

When the Windows PC is set to get DNS entries using DHCP, the Orbi always responds with its own IP address and acts as a DNS relay.  Numerous people have asked for a way to get Orbi to hand out other DNS entries, and it simply cannot be made to do that

There are only two ways to have devices use other DNS servers: (1) set up the device with static entries for DNS, and (2) use a different DHCP server.  For one or two devices, option (1) is not too horrible.  For many devices, it would be a "chore".  Option (2) requires investment in more hardware and considerable technical skill.

Sorry.

Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes this is a given with NG routers and some other Mfr routers. Some mfrs allow users to disable the DNS proxy or relay on the router thus allowing the actual DNS addresses to pass thru to connected devices. 

Please include the OP Smiley Wink @Lenster45 

Message 5 of 15
Lenster45
Aspirant

OK here is what I have found. If I set up DNS server names in the ORBI and leave windows as automatic DNS then WIndows uses 192.168.1.1 which in turn takes it to my ISP which is horrible. But my non-windows devices wind up using the DNS servers specified in the Orbi and perform much better. When I set windows to specific DNS server names and leave the same server names in the Orbi, then everything uses the specified DNS servers and al perfom well.

Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

You using custome DNS addresses or ISP DNS addresses? What happens if you let the RBR detect ISP dns? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Message 7 of 15
Lenster45
Aspirant

The Modem is a Motorola SB 6121. Windows is ethernet cable connected to the ORBI

If I set both Windows and the Orbi to obtain DNS address automatically then all lookups go to my ISP as do all my non windows devices hooked up on wifi .

I then run DNSBenchmark and pick two open dns server addresses.

I fI change only the orbi to "Use these DNS Servers" and plug in the two open dsn server address, then all the non windows devices go to the designated servers and are noticably faster, but WIndows still uses 192.168.1.1 to go to my ISP. I need to go into windows network configuration and set IVP4 properties to "use the folling DNS server address and plug in the open DNS server addresses then I flush DNS cache, windows then uses the specified addresses and is noticibly faster.

My post was not that I couldn't get it working, but why windows would not let the ORBI use the open DNS addresses I plugged into the orbi if I left windows as optain server address automatically.

Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats the behavior of windows. Auto Obtain IP addressing will just use what it gets from the router. Default will be the routers IP address. If you want windows to use something else, you'll need to manually input custom DNS addresses in to the DNS fields in Windows networking for the adapter. 

Message 9 of 15
ekhalil
Master

@Lenster45 wrote:

My post was not that I couldn't get it working, but why windows would not let the ORBI use the open DNS addresses I plugged into the orbi if I left windows as optain server address automatically.

I guess that this happens because the Windows PC is wired which will cause it to bypass the Orbi settings?

Will you get the same results if the Windows PC is wirelessly attached to Orbi?

Message 10 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@Lenster45 wrote:

If I change only the orbi to "Use these DNS Servers" and plug in the two open dsn server address, then all the non windows devices go to the designated servers and are noticably faster, but WIndows still uses 192.168.1.1 to go to my ISP.

How is this conclusion confirmed?  When the Orbi is set to "use these DNS servers", that means for Orbi to ignore the DNS information provided by the ISP and use those specific IP's instead.  However, any device that gets an IP address from the Orbi DHCP server will be told the DNS server is the Orbi.  Wired or wireless, Mac, PC, or smart plug should make no difference.  The Orbi does not hand out those DNS addresses via DHCP.  I just set my Orbi DNS to 8.8.8.8.  Disconnected and reconnected my Sony Android phone, and it came up with DNS 192.168.1.1, i.e. the Orbi.

Every device using DHCP to get DNS information should (1) go to the Orbi, and (2) the Orbi should relay to the DNS servers designated in the Orbi setup.  (Of course, I believe that like Windows, the Orbi caches DNS search results and will continue to serve up recent searches until they time out.)

Message 11 of 15
Lenster45
Aspirant

You are right, Android terminal emulator returns 192.168.1.1 to the command getprop net.dsn1 but the same webpage lookup on the phone is substantially faster when I set the open DNS servers names into the router than when I set the router to automatically get it from the ISP.

Windows nslookup also returns 191.168.1.1, but there is no lookup speed improvement until I set the openDNS names in the windows IVP4 properties.

Poor metrics I know, but that is how I came to my conclusions.

Anyway. it working with the fastest benchmarked DNS servers plugged into both the router and windows properties and I am happy with the results. Thank you all for your input

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 15
GeeksAdvice
Aspirant

HI,

It may help you changing dns to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

afterwardes flush dns https://geeksadvice.com/flush-dns/ 

hope it helps 

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

The user wants to keep using Open DNS servers with the Orbi system. The system is working as extected as the system will use any DNS that the user specifies however all connected clients will get a single router IP address for there DNS. The orbi acts as a DNS proxy or relay. 

Thanks for posting. 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7