Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: orbi ip address 10.0.0.1

JamesRichard
Aspirant

orbi ip address 10.0.0.1

I'm trying to setup my new orbi router as my only router. But having trouble...

When I first set it up the orbi, I connected it to my existing bt homehub router. Whilst the signal strength was superb, issues arose when loading unsecured websites, and I understand this would be expected when ttying to use two routers connected in series. So I bought a separate netgear modem (DM200). When I connected the orbi to the new modem, the orbi decided it needed to change its IP address to 10.0.0.1, and no-longer accessed any websites at all.

I'm currently using the router in AP mode with the pre-existing bt homehub as the main router. But this is not what I want to do. Any suggestions gratefully received!

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Your modems have built in routers already. If you want to use the Orbi as a router, try one of the following:

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.

Reason that the Orbi is getting a 10.0.0.1 address is that the default IP address of 192.168.1.1 that Orbi normally uses is in conflict with one of the modems. Thus the Orbi changes to something that doesn't conflict with that IP address. 

@JamesRichard wrote:

I'm trying to setup my new orbi router as my only router. But having trouble...

When I first set it up the orbi, I connected it to my existing bt homehub router. Whilst the signal strength was superb, issues arose when loading unsecured websites, and I understand this would be expected when ttying to use two routers connected in series. So I bought a separate netgear modem (DM200). When I connected the orbi to the new modem, the orbi decided it needed to change its IP address to 10.0.0.1, and no-longer accessed any websites at all.

I'm currently using the router in AP mode with the pre-existing bt homehub as the main router. But this is not what I want to do. Any suggestions gratefully received!

Message 2 of 8
JamesRichard
Aspirant

The Netgear DM200 modem doesn’t have a built-in router. I’ve set this modem to bridge mode. But my Orbi still sticks with the IP address 10.0.0.1. Surely the Orbi can’t be in conflict with a router in bridge mode (I sound confident but obviously don’t really know what I’m talking about!)?
Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@JamesRichard wrote:

I bought a separate netgear modem (DM200). When I connected the orbi to the new modem, the orbi decided it needed to change its IP address to 10.0.0.1, and no-longer accessed any websites at all.

Can you please describe the experiment in more detail.  (I am not familiar with bt homehub.)  Internet service is DSL/ADSL (not cable or fiber).  The new Netgear DM200 is a "modem only" (no router, no WiFi).  Does the CM200 replace the bt homehub?  Does bt have to "do any magic" when you replace the internet modem?  i.e. the experiment was removing the bt equipment entirely, plugging the DSL line into the CM200 and the Orbi into the CM200?  If you connect a computer directly to the CM200, does it access the internet?

Message 4 of 8

@JamesRichard wrote:
The Netgear DM200 modem doesn’t have a built-in router.

It does have a modem by default. Do you mean that you have disabled it?

If so, remember to connect everything in the required order.

After you have disabled the modem bit of the DM200, turn it off, and then restart the whole network.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

I would also factory reset the Orbi before going through this process.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

The DM seems to have a built in router as per it's user manual: Pg59

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/DM200/DM200_UM_EN.pdf

Are you sure the DM modem is in bridge mode?

If you factory reset the RBR and walk thru the set wizard with it connected to the modem, what IP address appears on the RBR after completing the setup wizard? 

@JamesRichard wrote:
The Netgear DM200 modem doesn’t have a built-in router. I’ve set this modem to bridge mode. But my Orbi still sticks with the IP address 10.0.0.1. Surely the Orbi can’t be in conflict with a router in bridge mode (I sound confident but obviously don’t really know what I’m talking about!)?

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The DM seems to have a built in router as per it's user manual: Pg59

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/DM200/DM200_UM_EN.pdf

Thanks for finding the manual.  I jumped to the wrong conclusion when the back panel showed only one ethernet port.

Message 7 of 8

I jumped to the wrong conclusion when the back panel showed only one ethernet port.

That is why I asked about the meaning of your earlier message. It was not clear to me that you had disabled the router bit.

If you have not done so already, update the firmware on your DM200 before you turn off the router. As a  modem only box you cannot get into it easily to do updates. It doesn't have an obvious IP address that you can get at.

The good news is that as a combination with an Orbi, or just about any other router, it wipes the floor with BT's junk.

If you want a laugh, check the price of the DM200 in the USA. For once, we get the bargains.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7