Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: orbi keeps getting on 2.4 and not 5 ghz

s281er238
Aspirant

orbi keeps getting on 2.4 and not 5 ghz

my orbi keeps jumoing to 2.4 and when in range dosent hand off properly to 5 ghz on my devices and i have 2 satelites and ne router whcih covers the whole house open floor plan np walls . why cant thy just enable duable band where you have separate ssid for 2.4 and one for 5 is it gone kill them i hate this automatic come on guy its great setup but it fails without separate network please have that option enabled soon for advbanced users . does anyone know how to crack that or open that option up that where this device fails keeps jumping to 2.4 and stays on 2.4 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 7
schumaku
Guru

It's in the first priority the wireless client deciding on the band to use, not the access point (e.g. Orbi) deciding on the band to be used by a client. If the signal is not good enough, the 5 GHz channel active on-air is not available on the client, or the connection does fail repeatedly, clients fall back to 2.4 GHz.

Hacks to split off the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radios are published in the community already.

Message 2 of 7
schumaku
Guru

It's in the first priority the wireless client deciding on the band to use, not the access point (e.g. Orbi) deciding on the band to be used by a client. If the signal is not good enough, the 5 GHz channel active on-air is not available on the client, or the connection does fail repeatedly, clients fall back to 2.4 GHz.

Hacks to split off the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radios are published in the community already.

Amazing the amount of desinfromation - these kind of questions come up much to often.

Message 3 of 7
s281er238
Aspirant

shate the hacks i ewant 2 ssid that common and more advancde this crappy mesh single sign one sucks as a profesional it should be separated with 2 ssid its simple guve you customer  what they want its not thart hard why lock it down you have a device that works but lacks one thing opem it up simple firmware upgrade give them advanaced options everyien will be happy that 99% of cplp[mains here 2 ssid lol netgear wake up smell tjhe coffee and aslso there delay in load time i noticed with orbi website dont load as fast compared to other wifi routers   

Message 4 of 7
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

As stated, your devices are choosing what band to operate on based on the device (many needeing long range do not support 5GHz), signal strength and interference. Though there are some that would like to have dual band SSID on Orbi (and there is a way using telnet), Orbi is designed as a mesh network, and the single SSID is actually a feature, not a impediment for the overwhelming majority of the installed base. Before I bought my set up over a year ago, I did some research and thought this was preferable since I had both my bands on my Asus RT68u with the same SSID for convenience (unfortuately could not do this with my extender which was a pain hooking up to the correct SSID on one TV - where I needed the extender - when the 5GHz band got flaky). If that separation was going to be a problem, I would have not gone mesh. All my fixed devices with Orbi that are capable of running on 5GHz, do. All my mobile devices ...  well they work just fine and I rarely check as to what band they are on - and really do not care - as long as they are performing, including video communication and bufferless streaming.

Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@s281er238 wrote:

... i ewant 2 ssid that common and more advancde this crappy mesh single sign one sucks as a profesional it should be separated with 2 ssid ...   

Having designed and implemented hundreds of wireless networks for luxury homes, healthcare, arenas, and ad-hoc conference sites - I admit I don't qualify as a professional.

@s281er238 wrote:

... why lock it down you have a device that works but lacks one thing opem ...   

Commodity - it's intended to be a simple to deploy platform, simple to use, no need to change between different wireless systems.

@s281er238 wrote:

... aslso there delay in load time i noticed with orbi website dont load as fast compared to other wifi routers   

Multiple wireless hops might cause some delay. Potentially, Netgear could do better with their (in my opinion not ideally implemented) DNS relay.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enableding Beamforming and MIMO.

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@s281er238 wrote:

my orbi keeps jumoing to 2.4 and when in range dosent hand off properly to 5 ghz on my devices and i have 2 satelites and ne router whcih covers the whole house open floor plan np walls . why cant thy just enable duable band where you have separate ssid for 2.4 and one for 5 is it gone kill them i hate this automatic come on guy its great setup but it fails without separate network please have that option enabled soon for advbanced users . does anyone know how to crack that or open that option up that where this device fails keeps jumping to 2.4 and stays on 2.4 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7