Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: orbi plus gigabyte

dudmleh522
Aspirant

orbi plus gigabyte

Hello guys i just switched over to century link fiber gig service. I am connected like this.

ONT --> ZyXEL C3000Z --> Orbi router --> hard wire desktop with cat 6 cable.with this setup i am only getting 690mb down and 700mb up. and with wifi at 5gh rightn next to the orbi i can only get 300mb down and 150mb up. If i set my orbi with vlan tagging and ppoe login i only get 400mb down and 800mb up. Can anyone help me here why i am not able to see higher speed hard wired with ethernet? I have access control, traffic meter turned off and for QOS i can't seem to turn the speed test app off even i restored to factory default setting.

Message 1 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is the ISP modem and Orbi running in? Router modes? 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem leaving it in router mode and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

I recommend trying option#3...

@dudmleh522 wrote:

Hello guys i just switched over to century link fiber gig service. I am connected like this.

ONT --> ZyXEL C3000Z --> Orbi router --> hard wire desktop with cat 6 cable.with this setup i am only getting 690mb down and 700mb up. and with wifi at 5gh rightn next to the orbi i can only get 300mb down and 150mb up. If i set my orbi with vlan tagging and ppoe login i only get 400mb down and 800mb up. Can anyone help me here why i am not able to see higher speed hard wired with ethernet? I have access control, traffic meter turned off and for QOS i can't seem to turn the speed test app off even i restored to factory default setting.

Message 2 of 21
dudmleh522
Aspirant

ISP modem is not in transparent bridge mode. Whenever i set it to like that and input PPPOE info on orbi with vlan tagging 201 i cannot connect to internet. And i also tried option 3 where i put orbi into AP mode and still same result. I also took out orbi and went from ISP modem hard wired straight to desktop and still same result. And all the WIFI is turned off on ISP modem.

I am really worried about WIFI speeds as long as it is around 300mb down i am happy. All i care is about my hard wired desktop pc i would want to get close to 1gb down and up as possible as what centurylink offers.

Message 3 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

If your not getting 1Gb on your wired PC directly connected to the ISP modem, then possible that your PC isn't setup for 1Gb speeds, doesn't have the ability to handle 900Mb speeds on wired or your network adapter card is bad. You need a good working PC to ensure that your testing accurate 900Mb speeds before trying to test with anything else. I've noticed when I had 1Gb services, my dual core PC and laptop were not capabile of handling the 900Mb speed testing on wired connections. I had to use my quad core mac mini to test and got 900Mb speeds. 

@dudmleh522 wrote:

ISP modem is not in transparent bridge mode. Whenever i set it to like that and input PPPOE info on orbi with vlan tagging 201 i cannot connect to internet. And i also tried option 3 where i put orbi into AP mode and still same result. I also took out orbi and went from ISP modem hard wired straight to desktop and still same result. And all the WIFI is turned off on ISP modem.

I am really worried about WIFI speeds as long as it is around 300mb down i am happy. All i care is about my hard wired desktop pc i would want to get close to 1gb down and up as possible as what centurylink offers.

Message 4 of 21
dudmleh522
Aspirant

I dont think its my pc. My ethernet card is capable to handle 1gig. It might be the ONT or the fiber line coming in. Tech is suppose to be out here tomorrow
Message 5 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. If you get 900Mb directly with the ONT after tech verifiies, then try the Orbi, I would try AP mode first. 

Have the tech let you know if the ONT is the router or if it's passing thru a public IP address to any downstream connected device. 

Message 6 of 21
dudmleh522
Aspirant

Ok so tech decides not to show up. Wasted whole day waiting. Did another test going from ONT to centurylink modem/router combo and i got 700mb down and up. Still not happy. When i go from ONT to orbi with pppoe and vlan tagging i can get 700mb down but only 300mb up. I checked my cable and ether net that comes from ONT is cat5e and i am using cat 6 for pc.
Message 7 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Need that tech to show up and get there stuff working right. 

Message 8 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@dudmleh522 wrote:
I dont think its my pc. My ethernet card is capable to handle 1gig. It might be the ONT or the fiber line coming in. Tech is suppose to be out here tomorrow

Just to be clear.  Having a gigabit ethernet port does not mean that the computer is capable of processing a 1G stream of data.  There is more going on inside the computer than the ethernet port.  It also depends on how the data stream is being measured.  (speedtest.net?  fast.com?  ISP speed test?)

Message 9 of 21
dudmleh522
Aspirant

What do you mean like what? I havw no start up apps and firewall disabled. And using Speedtest.net with isp server.
Message 10 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  All I mean is the cost of components has fallen so far that vendors routinely put gigabit adapters inside PC's whether the PC is able to absord a solid gigabit stream or not.  That depends on things like memory speed, CPU speed, and the software being used to handle the stream.  The server supplying the data stream also has an effect.  Maybe your specific PC can absorb a full gigabit.

It appears (to me) that the Orbi is not the issue, as the same speed is recorded when the PC is connected directly to the modem.  If THAT produces the same result as connected to the Orbi, then whatever the problem is --- it isn't the Orbi.

Message 11 of 21
dudmleh522
Aspirant

Specs are
Cpu - I5 4690k with
Motherboard - Gigabyte z97x-SLI
Ram 32gb DDR3

Weird thing is when i go from ont to modem to orbi i get 700mb up and down. But when i go ont to orbi with pppoe i get 700mb down but 300mb up
Message 12 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

There always been speed issues with PPPoE. 

Message 13 of 21
dudmleh522
Aspirant

What do u mean. Can u elaborate on that
Message 14 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

PPPoE has always been slow with it's protocols. Router Mfr or chipset Mfr cant' seem to get the performance up like with DHCP protocols. HW accelleration is needed to get near 900mb on 1Gb services. The HW can do it, however when it comes to PPPoE, this seems to take a dive. 

Message 15 of 21
dudmleh522
Aspirant

So hkw should i solve this problem?
Message 16 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep the modem between ONT and Orbi. 

Message 17 of 21
dudmleh522
Aspirant

ok that still doesnt solve all my problem regarding not even getting close to 900mb up and down. than is this century link fiber problem?

Message 18 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

If your not getting 900Mb from the ISP HW directly, then this is there issue first and foremost. 

Message 19 of 21
dudmleh522
Aspirant

Sorry what is HW? Hardware? So the modem they provided me is the problem? Or ONT itself
Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. Hardware. You'll need to discuss the speed problem WITH the ISP tech guy when he arrives. 

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7